[comp.windows.x] Need VMS/UIS server code for X11

zippy@ut-emx.UUCP (Jack Lund) (01/13/90)

This may sound strange, but I need to know if anyone has written an X11R3
server using UIS graphics under VMS, more specifically for a VaxStation II,
monochrome. The main reason we're doing this is that we don't like the
way the DecWindows server runs under VMS on these old, clunky machines, and
we would like to be able to switch between UIS and X without having to reboot
the @%#^$&* system.

Please either post replies to this newsgroup, or send email to
ccjlund@agl.cc.utexas.edu.

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (01/17/90)

In article <23143@ut-emx.UUCP> zippy@emx.UUCP (Jack Lund) writes:
>This may sound strange, but I need to know if anyone has written an X11R3
>server using UIS graphics under VMS, more specifically for a VaxStation II,
>monochrome. The main reason we're doing this is that we don't like the
>way the DecWindows server runs under VMS on these old, clunky machines, and
>we would like to be able to switch between UIS and X without having to reboot
>the @%#^$&* system.

	I have an endless respect for your courage. Not only you would
	have to make the MIT server compile under VMS, but you'd have
	to hook into VMS-specific transport mechanism, used by VMS flavor
	of Xlib (local==shared, DECnet, TCP/IP, LAT ...).
	Plus you can expect about 5 times worse performance.

	On the other hand, VWS 4.1 includes an option to run DECwindows
	on the top of VWS(UIS). The DECwindows server gets a UIS window
	covering the entire screen, and you can run both UIS applications
	and X.
	Yes, it's a memory hog, but the performance did not seem to be
	much worse than the "native" X. The initial version was "unsupported",
	i.e. buggy and unreliable, but I believe the current status has
	been upgraded to "supported".

	In addition, DEC is readying the UIS emulator under DECwindows
	(demoed at DECUS). I believe they can be done sooner than you
	- even considering typical VMS Digital has it now (when can
	I get it -) .

Martin Brunecky, Auto-trol Technology Corporation,
12500 North Washington Street, Denver, CO-80241-2404
(303) 252-2499                                        ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru