[comp.windows.x] Courses in X - Summary of responses

titus@dcdwest1.UUCP (Matt Titus) (01/18/90)

A couple of weeks ago, I requested information on courses in X windows.
This is the summary of the responses.  Thanks to all who replied!

         | Matt Titus  ITT Defense Communications Division |
         | San Diego, CA                                   |

Matt,

I teach a two day intensive (13 hour) Introduction to the
X Window System course in conjunction with Advanced Computing
Environments.  The next offering is in Los Angles on January 29-30.
To enroll call Susie Karlson at Advanced Computing Environments
(415-941-3399).  She can send you the appropriate materials.

Wayne Dyksen
Purdue University
wrd@cs.purdue.edu

From ucsd!ames!mailrus!uunet!ivc!andrei Thu Jan 11 07:29:04 1990

	Intelligent Visual Computing, Inc. (IVC) teaches 1 , 3
	and 5 day classes in X.
	The 1 day class is an introduction with little or no lab work.
	The 3 day is 50-50 lab work and the 5 day is 60-40 lab.
	Classes involving lab work are taught at customers' sites
	All classes can be customized (to some extent) to meet customers'
	needs. For example, class exercises can be done in almost any
	Xt-based toolkit (Motif, Xaw...).

	Classes begin with general X concepts; these are then applied using Xlib
	in the lab. Students then learn how toolkits can be used to reduce
	development time. Finally, the necessity of combining toolkits with Xlib
	to build realistic applications is covered.
	Other topics covered include:  customizing your environment, writing
	portable code, being a "good citizen" per ICCCM and lots of other stuff.

  All instructors have actually written X applications and use X regularly.

	Prices can be based on per-student or flat-fee, dependent upon
	the number of students to be taught.   A typical cost is $1000 per
	student for a 3-day class.

For more information, contact:

	Intelligent Visual Computing, Inc.
	Box 418, Morrisville, NC  27560
	(919) 481-1353
	uunet!ivc!info

	(Since I work for IVC, naturally I think the class is a good one...
	 but impartial references from former students are also available).

	 Andrei Mitran

From ucsd!ames!mailrus!uunet!ICS.COM!xug Thu Jan 11 07:29:29 1990

<This reply is excerpted from a longer message from the X User Group,
which contains all sorts of good X info>

x) What courses on X are available?

	Lurnix offers 4-day "type-along courses" on Xt; the course is being
ported from Xaw to Xm. Information is available at 800-433-9337 (in CA: -9338).

	Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc., offers several multi-day,
hands-on courses on X, Xt, and the Xaw, HP, and Motif widget sets,
in particular. Information is available at 617-547-0510 and info@ics.com.

	Various vendors are also beginning to offer X training, usually
specific to a proprietary widget set.

< a couple of people mentioned ICS... >

Just returned from the three-day ICS (contact info below) course titled:
	"Programming the X Window System:  An Intensive Workshop"
and can recommend it highly.  Should have stayed for either the two-day
"Widget Writing" or "Programming OSF/Motif:  An Intensive Workshop", but
I have to get ready for my vacation in Mexico :-)

Excellent instructors (Project Athena sorts), equipment (Sony NEWS machines)
and facilities (the DoubleTree Inn is 100 feet from TechMart).

They have a class about once per month, alternating between Boston and
Santa Clara.  I didn't sign the checks, so I don't know what it cost.

		Linda Drukman
		Integrated Computer Solutions
		163 Harvard Street
		Cambridge, MA  02139
		617-547-0510
		(Fax) 617-547-0758

Frank Whaley
Senior Development Engineer
Quadratron Systems Incorporated
few@quad1.quad.com
uunet!ccicpg!quad1!few

>Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. offers lab courses for X and Motif.
>The courses concentrate on toolkit and widget use, but Xlib is also covered,
>particularly how best to mix Xt and Xlib calls. Courses in widget writing
>are also offered.  Approximately half the time is spent in Lab.  Our next
>session is scheduled for January 8-12 in Palo Alto.

Just a note. As a former customer of ICS (former in the sense that I have
changed jobs and do not currently need ICS' services.), i thought they did good
work. Their technical folks know what they are talking about and are
active in comp.windows.x, so you can see for yourself!

Dinah Anderson					 Manager of Systems Integration
Baylor College of Medicine	                                 Houston, Texas
internet: dinah@bcm.tmc.edu                   uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!dinah

From: Ralph R. Swick <ucsd!ATHENA.MIT.EDU!swick>

Look in the just-recently-published UCLA Extension course catalog.