[comp.windows.x] r4 clients under isc x11r3 server

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (01/18/90)

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>I'm afraid I don't know anything about the ISC software, in particular what
>their IPC connection mechanism is.

Socket-based unless I'm totally confused.  Their server might make use
of other IPC mechanisms (ie shared memory) but I don't think so.  I
don't have documentation or a system handy or I'd check.

>If ISC has UNIX domain sockets, or TCP
>sockets, then perhaps you failed to set -DUNIXCONN or -DTCPCONN in the
>ConnectionFlags configuration parameter?

ISC has both, I suggest trying TCPCONN if you can't get UNIXCONN to
work since I had a 386/ix box talking to a Sun for quite awhile with
no problems -- if you have the sockets option installed it ought to
work.  There shouldn't be a problem with any r4 clients which don't
make use of new extensions, either, they have been working pretty well
for me under both r4 and r3 servers.

For real definitive answers I suggest that you post questions in
comp.unix.i386 -- ISC regularly answers questions there.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com