[comp.windows.x] Way to go MIT!!!

wsinpdb@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (02/01/90)

In article <9001311732.AA16943@kanga.lcs.mit.edu> jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) writes:

>>> Not only do we get X11R4 in January, but according to InfoWorld 1/29/90,
>>> page 44, we can get R5 now!
>
>Yeah, right.  Somebody's fingers fumbled.  We don't even want to *hear* the
>letter "R" followed by the number "5" for a long, long time....
>

>> According to the article R5 has support for System 3.2 and Streams.
>> What OS was this tested on?
>
>The streams support in R4 was tested on an AT&T 6386 WGS.

Well, I looked at the "core" tape and there are 2 important issues:
- Only the client code is available for the AT&T 6386 WGS (or more
  generally speaking for AT&T Unix sVr3.2). Seems like we AT-386 users
  are doomed to pay $$$ for outdated X-servers... I almost got excited
  by hearing that there would soon be complete System V r3.2 support
  on the standard X tapes...
- A lot of stuff fails to build because a directory "interlan" is missing.
  seems like some kind of network software is needed even to install X
  on a non-networked 386 box. Has anyone got any info on where this
  "interlan" stuff comes from? It certainly isn't on my system.

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)