[comp.windows.x] X Applications

anthony@alberta.UUCP (Anthony Mutiso) (11/03/89)

		Where is the beef?

Does anyone out there in Net Land have any idea if there exist X
applications similar to the Suntools applications like "lpqtool" "contool"
"calentool" etc.

If anyone has an idea, please email me addresses to mail-servers etc,
or even sources.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Anthony Mutiso (403-492-2821)                   anthony@cs.ualberta.ca
Department of Computing Science.                anthony@alberta.UUCP
University of Alberta                           anthony%alberta@ualtamts.bitnet
Edmonton, Alberta. CANADA                       toni@ualtamts.bitnet

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/04/89)

In article <ANTHONY.89Nov2150702@sibbald.alberta.UUCP>,
anthony@alberta.UUCP (Anthony Mutiso) writes:
> Does anyone out there in Net Land have any idea if there exist X
> applications similar to the Suntools applications like "lpqtool" "contool"
> "calentool" etc.

DECwindows, DEC's implementation of X, includes a calander, alarm
clock, PostScript previewer, card filer, graphical diff, mail (MH)
interface, text editor, bitmap editor, simple graphical UNIX shell, and
a few other desktop tools.  While we don't distribute sources to these,
you can display them on other X workstations on your network using X's
networking capability.  I suspect that other X vendors offer similar
tools.  Sorry if this is too commercial for you, but there have been
several questions on applications recently.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

harish@csl36h.ncsu.edu (Harish Hiriyannaiah) (11/04/89)

In article <2040@bacchus.dec.com>, klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:

> DECwindows, DEC's implementation of X, includes a calander, alarm
> clock, PostScript previewer, card filer, graphical diff, mail (MH)
> interface, text editor, bitmap editor, simple graphical UNIX shell, and
> a few other desktop tools.  While we don't distribute sources to these,
> you can display them on other X workstations on your network using X's
> networking capability.  I suspect that other X vendors offer similar
> tools.  Sorry if this is too commercial for you, but there have been
> several questions on applications recently.

Anybody ever notice how HUGE these monsters are ? Over 1Mb !! Same with
dxsession and dxterm and
most other tools. You just need to open only a few of these windows and
my VaxStation 3100 begins
to thrash. I have also run into "calloc: can't allocate memory" problems
because of insufficient
swap space ( and I have close to 30 Meg ). I just couldn't stand it
anymore and went back to
uwm and xterm, even though I liked the look-and-feel of dxterm better.

harish pu. hi.						harish@ecebucolix.ncsu.edu

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (11/04/89)

In article <2040@bacchus.dec.com> klee@decwrl.dec.com writes:
> DECwindows, DEC's implementation of X

Shirly, you must be kidding.  DECwindows is not an implementation of
X, is it?  It's just a window manager + other applications (that you
listed) which describe a user "environment" of some sort.  From your
statement, it sounds like you're saying that DEC is *rewriting* Xlib,
Xt and other libraries to support DECwindows.  The implications of
this are disturbing.

dan

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (11/04/89)

In article <127365@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> argv@sun.UUCP (Dan Heller) writes:
>In article <2040@bacchus.dec.com> klee@decwrl.dec.com writes:
>> DECwindows, DEC's implementation of X
>
>Shirly, you must be kidding.  DECwindows is not an implementation of
>X, is it?  It's just a window manager + other applications (that you
>listed) which describe a user "environment" of some sort.  From your
>statement, it sounds like you're saying that DEC is *rewriting* Xlib,
>Xt and other libraries to support DECwindows.  The implications of
>this are disturbing.

What is so disturbing about this?  (And don't call him Shirley!).

Digital's Xlib supports non-C language bindings so you can use it from
other languages.  Digital's Intrinsics had extra performance work done
(given back to MIT for R4, btw).  The DS3100 color server is highly
optimized.  What's wrong with referring to "DEC's implementation of X"???

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente

anthony@alberta.UUCP (Anthony Mutiso) (11/05/89)

		Where is the beef?

Does anyone out there in Net Land have any idea if there exist X
applications similar to the Suntools applications like "lpqtool" "contool"
"calentool" etc.

If anyone has an idea, please email me addresses to mail-servers etc,
or even sources.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Anthony Mutiso (anthony@alberta)                       Life-motto: Logic Rules.

brianc@ZETA.SAINTJOE.EDU (Brian Capouch) (02/02/90)

I am working on an article about the advent of X windows applications into the
world of commerce.

I hope that it would be appropriate of me to request that developers of
*application clients* under any Rev. of X would take the time to drop me a line
with a few pieces of information.  I will gladly post a summary of this
information to the group.

Please let me know the following things about your product:

1. Name
2. Class (ie financial, process control, net management, etc.)
3. Target Market
4. Availability of product and descriptive literature
5. Target platforms (if applicable)
6. Contact information
7. Pricing

If you could, please include "X Applications" in the Subject: field of your
message.

Thank you.

Brian Capouch
Saint Joseph's College