[comp.windows.x] xnews & X11R4 wm compatibility?

jdn@misc.Sun.COM (Jeff Nisewanger) (02/02/90)

In article <7677@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf,ho,) writes:
>	The system seems to "eat" iconized windows.  Whenever I iconify
>	a window under the xnews server, the icon disappears completely off
>	the screen.  I can't think of any way of de-iconifying these
>	windows.
>Can someone help?  Is there a magical resource that needs to be set that I
>don't know about?
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Tom

	What window manager etc. are you using? I've never seen that happen.

Jeff Nisewanger                         ARPA: jdn@sun.com
Window Systems Group                    UUCP: ...!sun!jdn
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  415/336-5743

palmer@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG (02/02/90)

writes:
>  >	The system seems to "eat" iconized windows.  Whenever I iconify
>  >	a window under the xnews server, the icon disappears completely off
>  >	the screen.  I can't think of any way of de-iconifying these
>  >	windows.
>
>	misc!jdn@sun.com (Jeff Nisewanger) writes:
>
>  	What window manager etc. are you using? I've never seen that happen.

If you're running twm make certain that you don't have the IconRegion variable
set - or, if you do, make certain that it's correct. Otherwise, you may iconify
your windows right off your screen. :)

Forrest Palmer (x5668)
Systems Programmer/Administrator
MITRE Corp. - Washington Center

palmer@mwunix.mitre.org

gmt@cs.arizona.edu (Gregg Townsend) (02/02/90)

    From: wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf)
    --------
    From: jdn@misc.Sun.COM (Jeff Nisewanger)
    From: palmer@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG
    If you're running twm make certain that you don't have the IconRegion
    variable set - or, if you do, make certain that it's correct. Otherwise,
    you may iconify your windows right off your screen. :)

I'm seeing this problem, too.  When I close a window, the icon appears
momentarily in the right place;  then, poof! it's gone.  The underlying
process is still running.

I don't think it's IconRegion -- I don't use that, and anyway it appears
the placement is correct.

    Gregg Townsend / Computer Science Dept / Univ of Arizona / Tucson, AZ 85721
    +1 602 621 4325     gmt@cs.arizona.edu     110 57 16 W / 32 13 45 N / +758m