[comp.windows.x] XView and NeWS/X11

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (02/02/90)

Could the Sun people please tell me if the subroutine calling sequences
in the R4 and NeWS versions of XView will remain different or converge.
The version of NeWS/X11 we have calls generic attributes VU_xxxx while
R4 use XV_xxxx.  R4 also more escape functions into Xlib (although they
seem to be unnecessary). Thanks.

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (02/04/90)

In article <7801@lindy.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>Could the Sun people please tell me if the subroutine calling sequences
>in the R4 and NeWS versions of XView will remain different or converge.
>The version of NeWS/X11 we have calls generic attributes VU_xxxx while
>R4 use XV_xxxx.  R4 also more escape functions into Xlib (although they
>seem to be unnecessary). Thanks.

Wow!  You have a very old version of software!  The XView prefixes were
changed from vu_ to xv_ in the middle of the beta process before 1.0 FCS
shipped.  So, you're comparing XView 1.0 early beta to XView 1.0.1 FCS.

As far as XView is concerned, there are no plans to change the prefixes
from xv_.

I'm not sure what you mean by "R4 also more escape functions into Xlib".
Please elaborate.

Heather