[comp.windows.x] Is there a replacement for ScrollOnOverflow in R4?

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (02/02/90)

> I've been converting my codes to R4 and cannot seem to find a
> replacement for the ScrollOnOverflow option of the Text widget in
> R3.  For those who don't know, ScrollOnOverflow automatically
> scrolls the text up when new text is entered below the bottom
> line.

scrollOnOverflow did not work in R3, and the R4 widget has the same semantics as
R3 (I hope, R3 was a long time ago).

The Text widget will always scroll itself so that the insert point is visable,
so when adding text you can make sure your new text is visable by careful
placement of the insert point.

> Can anyone suggest a work around?  The slow scrolling of the text
> widget when I add lots of data to the bottom is very annoying.

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but by moving the insert point to be
either before or after your newly inserted text you should be able to get
whatever scrolling semantics that you desire.

						Chris

dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (02/05/90)

In article <9002012052.AA25447@expo.lcs.mit.edu> kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) writes:

>The Text widget will always scroll itself so that the insert point is visable,
>so when adding text you can make sure your new text is visable by careful
>placement of the insert point.

Chris's comment appears to be not-exactly true.  If you run xpostit,
for example, and type a bunch of words with no carriage-return,
eventually the insertion point disappears below the bottom of the
window.

I haven't had a chance to see why xpostit doesn't work right...since xedit
*does* scroll down during word overflows.

Generally confused, but too busy to figure it out,

Dan Greening       | NY 914-789-7861 | 12 Foster Court
dgreen@cs.ucla.edu | CA 213-825-2266 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520