[comp.windows.x] xrn unable to post

gustav@arp.anu.oz.au (Zdzislaw Meglicki) (02/01/90)

I've just found that xrn (X11R4 with one xrn-patch) cannot
edit and post messages. I couldn't even post a gripe (most
likely for the same reason). The symptoms were as follows:
the editing window would accept a small number of characters
(about one line) upon which both the editing window and
the main xrn window would hang. Killing both windows from
twm would still leave xrn itself hanging in the background
even though the windows would be gone.

I must admit that this certainly _does_ enforce short and
concise messages - but isn't it a touch too drastic?

If you have a patch or knowledge about how to fix the
problem reply to the net and/or to me:

	gustav@arp.anu.oz.au
	Gustav Meglicki, Automated Reasoning Project,
	The Australian National University,
	GPO Box 4, Canberra, ACT, 2601, Australia

ricks@shambhala.Berkeley.EDU (Rick L Spickelmier) (02/03/90)

In article <1990Feb1.021650.27017@arp.anu.oz.au>, gustav@arp.anu.oz.au
(Zdzislaw Meglicki) writes:
> I've just found that xrn (X11R4 with one xrn-patch) cannot
> edit and post messages.

The version of XRN that came with R4 has serious problems
(I didn't have a copy of R4, so I had to make the various
changes to XRN based on the documentation, and I had no
why to test it...)

Anyway, you can grab a more recent version from shambhala.berkeley.edu
(128.32.132.54) in pub/xrn6-5.1.tar.Z.  Note, for those out there
that grabbed 6.5, 6.5.1 has a working 'editorCommand'.

Also, I'm getting bug reports that XRN 6.5 is dumping core inside
of XawPanedSetRefigureMode on SUN's and HP's.  Has anybody else seen this?

This message was posted from XRN 6.5.1...

				Rick Spickelmier
				UC Berkeley

dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (02/05/90)

In article <21696@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> ricks@berkeley.edu writes:

>Also, I'm getting bug reports that XRN 6.5 is dumping core inside
>of XawPanedSetRefigureMode on SUN's and HP's.  Has anybody else seen this?

On HPUX 6.5, with the HP-supplied optimizer fix, I compiled it, ran it,
and got a big green (well, I'm colorblind, so it could be light tan)
box that says "Caught signal (10), cleaned up .newsrc and removed temp
files".

Hope that helps.

Dan Greening       | NY 914-789-7861 | 12 Foster Court
dgreen@cs.ucla.edu | CA 213-825-2266 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520