[comp.windows.x] X on DOS

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (10/25/89)

Thanks for all the answers concerning my question about X on DOS.

Here is a summarize because of the great interest in that topic.
(Productdescriptions are seperated via "-")

-Axel

Graphic Software Systems (GSS) offers PC-Xview, an X Window server on a PC.
PC-Xview interfaces with PC/TCP Plus networking software from FTP Software
and Excelan's LAN WorkPlace for DOS.  GSS is a distributor for the PC/TCP
product and can offer you one stop shopping for all of your PC X Server needs.

PC-Xview works with:

        a) 286, 386, 486
        b) EGA, VGA, DGIS displays.  DGIS displays are available from Compaq,
                Dell, HP, NEC, Imagraph, Control Systems, and others
        c) DOS 3.2 and above
        d) Microsoft, Logitech, Mouse Systems Mice
        e) 640k memory up to 16 MB memory
        f) Network cards from 3Com, WD, Interlan, Intel, Proteon, UB,
                Nat'l Semi, Tiara, and Excelan.  Also SLIP.

For more info, contact:

        Jim Thomassen (uunet!mntgfx!gssc!jimt)

VisionWare XVISION - The X Connection for Microsoft Windows

XVision is a Microsoft Windows based X server which allows an IBM-compatible PC
or PS/2 to display X clients running on a networked computer,  at the same time
as local DOS programs. The main features are:

o	A PC becomes an X Window System graphics terminal.

o	Microsoft Windows based X server.

o	X clients and DOS applications appear on the same screen.

o	Cut and paste between X clients and DOS applications using the Windows
	Clipboard.

o	Full support for X11 protocols.

o	Use a standard X Window manager, or let Microsoft Windows manage X
	clients.

o	Independent of specific PC graphics display system.

X FOR WINDOWS

XVision is a Microsoft Windows application, which means that you can run X
Window System clients alongside DOS programs on a PC workstation. This provides
a common user interface for DOS and X applications, and allows cut and paste
operations to transfer information between them.

Because the server runs under Microsoft Windows it can use any graphics display
screen for which a Windows driver is available. This includes EGA and VGA, as
well as large high resolution monitors.

XVISION SERVER

The XVision server is based on the sample server distributed by the X
Consortium. It runs on a PC under Microsoft Windows and supports the standard X
protocol between clients and the server over TCP/IP network links. This is the
most efficient method of implementation since the X protocol is optimised to
reduce the overheads involved in passing graphics requests to and receiving
events from a workstation.

XVision does not require any special software to be installed on a host system
and it can accept requests from X clients running anywhere on the network. The
interface between XVision and the PC network software is implemented as a DOS
TSR program, which provides a flexible method of supporting different networks.

XVision allows cut and paste operations between X clients to be carried out in
the normal way using the X selection mechanism. It also enables the data
associated with a text selection to be mirrored on the Windows Clipboard. This
enables data to be copied between X clients and DOS applications.

The server is capable of running a few simple clients on a PC with 640 kbytes
of memory. It implements virtual memory to allow a greater number of clients
and more complex clients to be run. The virtual memory mechanism will make use
of expanded memory if it is available, and if there is insufficient expanded
memory it will use the hard disk.

Clients can be initiated from the PC, or may be started anywhere on the network.
For a UNIX host, the X Display Manager can be set up to allow a user to log in
and execute the first X client. Otherwise, TELNET or another terminal emulator
facility can be used to initiate the X session.

WINDOW MANAGEMENT

There are two different ways of using XVision. The first way is for the whole
X world to occupy one Microsoft Window, and all X clients appear within this
window. The Microsoft Window may be positioned on the screen in relation to
other DOS windows or iconised in the normal Windows manner. To manage individual
X client windows within the single Microsoft Window, a standard X window manager
such as UWM must be used.

When used in this single window display mode you can specify that the "virtual
display" should be larger than the size of the PC screen, and Microsoft Windows
scroll bars can then be used to alter the visible area.

The second way to use XVision is for each X client to run within its own
Microsoft Window, and here individual X client window management may be achieved
by using the standard Microsoft Windows management facilities. This method
provides X applications with a Presentation Manager look and feel to their user
interface. When a client opens a window it supplies "hints" such as size, title
and icon which are mapped to equivalent features of a Microsoft Window.

X FONTS SUPPLIED

Compiled versions of the standard X fonts are distributed with XVision, and you
have the option to install all of them or just a minimum set. A Microsoft
Windows font file is associated with each X font file, and contains the
character bitmaps. All the other properties of the X font remain in the X font
file and many are used by the server when drawing text.

XVISION AND VISIONWARE

XVision is one of a range of VisionWare workstation integration products and
services. Also available is PC-Connect, which allows IBM-compatible PC or PS/2
computers to act as multi-windowed workstations connected to one or more UNIX
host systems without the need for the X Windows system. SQL-Connect enables
workstation users to access information held in remote SQL databases. The
VisionWare strategy is to combine PCs and multi-user systems into a unified
operating environment, so that maximum benefits can be obtained from
information processing technology.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

An IBM-compatible PC/AT or PS/2 computer with at least an 80286 processor.

At least 640kbytes of memory. XVision will also use LIM/EMS 3.2 or 4.0
expanded memory if available.

A hard disk.

Either a 1.2Mbyte 5 1/4" disk drive, or a 1.44Mbyte 3 1/2" drive.

Windows compatible graphics adapter and display.

A mouse is strongly recommended. A three-button mouse is ideal, but a two-button
mouse can be used together with the emulation facilities built into XVision.

A local area network card and networking software.

MS-DOS or PC-DOS version 3.0 or later.

A run-time version of Microsoft Windows may be included with XVision (ask your
supplier or call VisionWare). If you want to use full Windows then you need
Windows/286 or Windows/386 version 2.0 or later.

XVISION PACKAGES

There are two XVision packages, one containing 5 1/4" disks (1.2 Mbyte) and the
other containing 3 1/2" disks (1.44Mbyte). Choose the appropriate package for
your disk drive.

AVAILABILITY

XVision is supplied with network communications interface programs for various
TCP/IP networking software. These include Locus TCP/IP for DOS, FTP PC/TCP and
Excelan LAN WorkPlace. More networks are being added continually, and you
contact your supplier or VisionWare for exact details of availability.

(C) VisionWare Limited, 1989. All Rights Reserved.

The names of companies referred to herein, their corporate logos, the names of
their hardware and software may be tradenames, trademarks or registered
trademarks of their respective owners.

The policy of VisionWare Limited is to develop and enhance its products and
services and it therefore reserves the right to alter without notice the
specification and/or design thereof.

VisionWare Limited, The Leeds Business Park, Morley, Leeds LS27 0JG, UK
Tel +44-532-522020. Fax +44-532-526614. Telex 556283. Email: vware@vison.uucp

VisionWare, PO Box 3991, Minneapolis, MN 55405, USA
Tel +1-612-377-3627

For those interested in using X Windows Version 11 Release 3 on an
IBM-AT (80286 or 80386) or compatible, Integrated Inference Machines
is shipping a high performance X11 server called X11/AT which runs under
MS-DOS using Microsoft Windows for $395.  The server converts an IBM-AT into
an X Windows terminal which can simultaneosuly run MS-DOS and
Microsoft Windows applications.  FTP and TELNET are also supplied.
X11/AT requires a system with 2Meg of extended memory.  Because X11/AT
runs under Microsoft Windows, a large variety of monochrome and color
displays are supported including EGA, VGA, and special high resolution
displays.

For more information, contact:

Charles Baecker
Integrated Inference Machines
1468 E. Katella Avenue
Anahiem, California 92805
Phone (714)978-6201
FAX (714)939-0746

Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer
Rest of world: ...!uunet!pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer

yakker@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (The Rastafari Yakker) (10/28/89)

----->    I've spent part of the last two weeks looking for various     <-----
----->    packages (xload, xnetload, xrload, xpermon) that check over   <-----
----->    the load averages of a system and report them back to         <-----
----->    the user in a graph of some sort.  The problem I have is      <-----
----->    that some of the programs use the rwhod, which has a          <-----
----->    security bug in it, and some use rup, which would choke       <-----
----->    for our systems.  I want to run Xrload, which is available    <-----
----->    from expo for version 10.4, but the guy who wrote it no       <-----
----->    longer exists at his site and I can't get in touch with       <-----
----->    the people who wrote it.                                      <-----

----->    My question is:  Has anyone re-written this program that      <-----
----->    could possibly send it to me, or has some sort of load        <-----
----->    program that works similar to the perfmeters of the Sun-      <-----
----->    view package?  Please E-mail me or respond to this news-      <-----
----->    group.  Thanks for your help.                                 <-----

---------------------------------------*--------------------------------------
"Behold, God, is my salvation, I       |   Internet:    yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu
will trust, and not be afraid.."      |+|      UUCP:    ...ucsd!ucrmath!yakker
                                     |+|+|
"What lies behind you and what lies  |+|+|        The University of California
before you pales insignificant when   |+|                         at Riverside
compared to what lies within you.."    |        Department of Computer Science
---------------------------------------*--------------------------------------

pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (02/05/90)

>On  Thu, 1 Feb 90 21:19:24 GMT  "Peter C. Bahrs"
><samsung!rex!rouge!gator!pcb@THINK.COM> writes:
>
>> Has anyone tried (successfully) to get IBM's X Windows for DOS
>> working?  This is the one where the PC basically becomes ax X
>> terminal.
>> When I invoke xondos and telnet to an IBM RT, I invoke aixterm &, exit
>> and I see "socket reset" flash on the screen.  Then I get an X
>> background and nothing happens.
>>
>try:
>telnet othermachine
>..normal logon...
>nohup aixterm dosmachine:0 &
>exit
>xondos   (after a short wait you should get an X display)
>aixwm &
>Your problem may be in failing to get the name:display of the
>dos machine correct when invoking aixterm.

This works ok.  I found out that the pci servers on the RT had a bug.
IBM sent a patch and it worked.
HOWEVER, as in but, after a non-deterministic amount of time the PC hangs.
The screen is still there.  The processes are still listed on the RT
(i.e. aixterm , aixwm, xclock...).  But the communications are stopped.
No beeps or warning.  In fact Ctrl-Alt-F10 will no longer terminate
the PC side?  My documentation for this product (a readme file) makes
no reference to this problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies   INET  pcb@gator.cacs.sl.edu     |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana                                   |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |