[comp.windows.x] Motif *unavailable* from Digital?

mf@uunet.UU.NET (mf) (02/02/90)

Our DEC salesman informed me today that MOTIF is not a DEC
product yet, is under beta test, and will be available
by the end of 1st quarter '90.

Is this really true?  I find it hard to believe.

Michael Fingerhut

quodling@bunyip.dec.com (Peter Quodling) (02/02/90)

In article <78179@uunet.UU.NET>, mf@uunet.UU.NET (mf) writes...
{
{Is this really true?  I find it hard to believe.
{
{Michael Fingerhut

What do you find hard to believe. Digital has an excellent X11 Environment
(XUI). To strengthen it's commitment to the OSF, DEC intends to migrate to a
MOTIF based environment over time. To avoid causing problems for it's existing
installed base, this migration will not happen in one major release.
Motif is available under a beta test type agreement to software vendors. Those
that need it now, have access to it. THose that don't need it now, will get it
in the near future.

Peter Quodling		         Internet:     quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation    UUCP: ...!decwrl!blumon.enet!quodling
Nashua, NH.                      I disclaim everything!!!
				 These are my opinions, not my employers...

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/02/90)

In article <78179@uunet.UU.NET>, mf@uunet.UU.NET (mf) writes:
> Our DEC salesman informed me today that MOTIF is not a DEC
> product yet, is under beta test, and will be available
> by the end of 1st quarter '90.

You can get Motif right now from OSF.  A tuned, bug-fixed, complete
(including UIL) version of Motif with some useful Motif applications
will be available from DEC soon.  Also scheduled are making Motif a
standard part of DECwindows (replacing the DECwindows widget set, etc.)
and porting all the DECwindows applications to Motif.  Your sales rep
should have exact dates and details.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

CLAR@FRESE51.BITNET (02/02/90)

        I've heard that MOTIF will be included in UWS 2.2 distribution.
I've not yet received it. So, wait and see.

        Daniel Clar

evans@testmax.ZK3.DEC.COM (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (02/02/90)

>        I've heard that MOTIF will be included in UWS 2.2 distribution.
>I've not yet received it. So, wait and see.

This is not true... MOTIF is not included in the UWS 2.2 distribution.

Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics    (603)893-8481
     Unix/X-window Software Contractor      | 3 Koper Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

lerici@SUPER.ORG (Peter W. Brewer) (02/02/90)

>Is this really true?  I find it hard to believe.

You're too used to VMS sales.. when they used to say VMS and you'd say
Ultrix and they'd say VMS and you'd say ULTRIX and they'd say VMS and then
you'd day ULTRIX or I GO TO CONVEX, then they'd sell..

UEG the Ultrix Engineering Group does good work so I find it very easy to
believe...

        Peter

david@ics.ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (02/06/90)

>What do you find hard to believe. Digital has an excellent X11 Environment
>(XUI). To strengthen it's commitment to the OSF, DEC intends to migrate to a
>MOTIF based environment over time. To avoid causing problems for it's existing
>installed base, this migration will not happen in one major release.
>Motif is available under a beta test type agreement to software vendors. Those
>that need it now, have access to it. THose that don't need it now, will get it
>in the near future.
>Peter Quodling		         Internet:     quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com

At the OSF/Motif Road Show in Toronto last week the Digital representative
on a Q&A panel was asked this question and said that Motif would not be
supported on all platforms as the primary toolkit until approximately one year
from now.

He did not say when the first release on any platform would be.

David B. Lewis  david@ics.com  david%ics.UUCP@bu.edu  ...!uunet!ics.com!david

Bring back the shine mark!