[comp.windows.x] How to get to server extensions?

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (02/06/90)

In article <9001301848.AA06945@xenon.lcs.mit.edu> keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) writes:
[...]
>With the occasional exception of MIT-SHM (the SYSV-specific shared memory
>extension), these extensions are supported on every platform which runs
>the MIT sample server.
The MIT's X11R4 server under SunOS claims to have MIT-SHM, I am assumeing that
it is a way for clients to talk to the X server & that Xlib takes care of using
it.  If that's true when does Xlib decide to use it?  On connections to
"unix:0", or to ":0" (well "unix:N[.M]", etc)?  Is it faster then UDS, or is
it just for SysV's without UDS?  (UDS=Unix Domain Sockets)

Also what is included in MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD, it includes the MIT-COOKIE-1
auth. protocall, does it have anything else?

I'm willing to RTFM for all of this, but I can't find a FM for this stuff...

--
           stripes@wam.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (02/06/90)

    The MIT's X11R4 server under SunOS claims to have MIT-SHM, I am assumeing that
    it is a way for clients to talk to the X server & that Xlib takes care of using
    it.

Not quite.  MIT-SHM is not a general-purpose shared-memory transport, it's an
experimental extension to support shared-memory pixmaps and Get/PutImage.

    Also what is included in MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD, it includes the MIT-COOKIE-1
    auth. protocall, does it have anything else?

It does not include MIT-COOKIE-1 (that doesn't require an extension), it only
includes requests to support "xset [-]bc".  Not very interesting.

    I'm willing to RTFM for all of this, but I can't find a FM for this stuff...

These are both experimental, we didn't get around to writing documentation,
sorry.  Use the Source, Luke.  It's usually pretty obvious from the Xlib
interface routines.