[comp.windows.x] Unix X servers that can use Decnet

evans@testmax.ZK3.DEC.COM (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (02/01/90)

Did you know that the V2 DECwindows product for VMS speaks TCP/IP as well
as DECnet? I think that this really makes your problem a lot easier to deal
with...

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics    (603)893-8481
     Unix/X-window Software Contractor      | 3 Koper Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (02/03/90)

To the best of my knowledge, the only Unix solution to your problem is
from DEC - several other vendors support DECnet, but I don't know of
any that have DECnet X servers.   My DECstation 3100, running Ultrix
3.1 and UWS 2.1, supports DECnet connections from VMS DECwindows.   I
believe that the same is true of VAX versions of Ultrix, but I haven't
tried it.

			       _MelloN_

lavender@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Bill Lavender) (02/03/90)

Well, I've received a variety of responses to my query.  It seems that
the consensus is that the easiest solution is to get Ultrix from DEC
which supports X connections over both TCP/IP and Decnet.

However, for those of you out there with Sun hardware, there appears
to be a solution from a vendor called Thursby Software Systems in
Arlington, Texas.  They have a product called TSSnet which provides
a socket library for Decnet on the Sun which allows the MIT X11R4 server
to be built on the Sun.  I have been given two phone numbers for them:
(817)478-5070 and (817)478-2313.  Thanks to grobicki@aplvax.jhuapl.edu
and sew@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu for providing this information.

As for Openwindows on the Sun, apparently the current release cannot
be used with SunLink DNI, but a couple of people report that the
next release of Openwindows probably will support Decnet.

Anyway, thanks for your responses!

--
Bill Lavender                                   lavender@lindy.stanford.edu
Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory

dale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dale Luck - Amiga) (02/03/90)

In article  mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) writes:

>To the best of my knowledge, the only Unix solution to your problem is
>from DEC - several other vendors support DECnet, but I don't know of
>any that have DECnet X servers.

This is very probably true that there are no other unix/decnet servers
except what you find under ultrix.

The X11 3.1 system for the Amiga now in beta testing from GfxBase and
being coordinated by Syndesis supports DECnet over ethernet and serial
lines. Syndesis is providing TSSnet (DECnet) for the Amiga.

I don't know if they are looking for more Beta testers, but for the
latest information about it please contact:

Syndesis
N9353 Benson Road
Brooklyn, WI  53521
608-455-1422

vbl@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Vic Lortz) (02/05/90)

This message is empty.

JONESD@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (David Jones) (02/06/90)

I think a more important question than whether the server supports DECnet or
not is whether the server has the fonts that DEC uses for its DECwindows
applications.  What are the rules about copying those fonts to foreign servers?
The posting that started this thread said the server was to talk to a VMS
system, so I doubt that the font file format is compatible with unix, even
if you were allowed to copy them.

David L. Jones               |      Phone:    (614) 292-6929
Ohio State Unviversity       |      Internet:
1971 Neil Ave. Rm. 406       |               jonesd@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210           |               jones-d@eng.ohio-state.edu

Disclaimer: A repudiation of a claim.

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (02/06/90)

In article <4127@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> JONESD@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (David Jones) writes:
>I think a more important question than whether the server supports DECnet or
>not is whether the server has the fonts that DEC uses for its DECwindows
>applications.  What are the rules about copying those fonts to foreign servers?

	On the "private" font issue. Since it does not seem likely that
	vendors will provide their "private" fonts in the .bdf
	format, did ANYONE try to write a "reverse-engineering" program ?

	I mean an X utility that loads a font, displays it character-by
	character into a bitmap, and generates the .bdf definition.
	Having a toool, it would be fairly easy to distribute any font
	to any server (even VMS X server uses .bdf).

	What about legal issues - would anyone consider using such a utility
	illegal ??? (The primary purpose of the utility is to allow
	a "private" utility to properly display on "other" servers, thus
	increasing it's usability. However, the side effect is that
	a lousy vendor will be able to use better fonts...)

--
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM