[comp.windows.x] The Software inside of X Terminals

dcrone@datlog.co.uk ( David Crone ) (02/05/90)

Hi,

I am new to the world of X and am currently looking at X terminals. I have
some literature from NCR (TowerView) and HP (HP700/X) on their X terminal
implementations and a list of other makers to look at as well.

The NCR offering states that the ROM based software in the Towerview
consists of X11 Server software, NCR TowerView Services, and
Operating Executive. I have heard that there is a "cut down" version
of UNIX running in the terminal.

First off, does anyone have any idea on whether this is true
and, if so, what's in a "cut down" UNIX in this instance? Secondly, does
anyone out there know what "services" TowerView Services and the
Operating Executive are providing? I hazard a guess that what's really involved
here is screen and network device support plus some memory management ???

In general what software apart from an X Server implementation is needed in
the X terminal to make it work as an X terminal?

Thanks for any information and Regards,

David.

In article <2480@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> dcrone@datlog.co.uk ( David Crone ) writes:
>In general what software apart from an X Server implementation is needed in
>the X terminal to make it work as an X terminal?

You need software to allow you to configure the network software (set the
network address, specify gateways and name servers, etc.).

You need a telnet client to allow you to connect to a host in order to
start up X clients (display manager protocols help here).

If the terminal allows you to use the telnet and/or configuration mode
while still running the X server then you need some form of multitasking.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

jer@stiatl.UUCP (John Ramspott) (02/07/90)

>The NCR offering states that the ROM based software in the Towerview
>consists of X11 Server software, NCR TowerView Services, and
>Operating Executive. I have heard that there is a "cut down" version
>of UNIX running in the terminal.
>
>First off, does anyone have any idea on whether this is true
>and, if so, what's in a "cut down" UNIX in this instance? Secondly, does
>anyone out there know what "services" TowerView Services and the
>Operating Executive are providing? I hazard a guess that what's really involved
>here is screen and network device support plus some memory management ???

  Yes, the operating system in the TowerView is called XINU (Xinu Is Not Unix),
which the astute will also notice is UNIX backwards. The higer end TV has a
Motorola 68020 and couple of megs of memory. In this OS, the X server is
running, as well as network support and diagnostic stuff. The TowerView
can be setup to run over the network or over a serial line. Currently, TV
can run over Towernet (XNS I think) and TCP/IP over ethernet. I do not know
what release of X the server is currently.

  One thing pretty unique about the TowerView with its mini-operating
system is that it can "download" applications to itself and run them locally,
which potentially can really speed up an application. However, you are
limited by memory and other constraints as to what and how many applications
can be downloaded and run on the TowerView itself. You wouldn't use this
feature for most things since distributed processing is a big advantage of X,
but it is there for any time critical applications.

  I used it briefly when I worked for NCR and took an X-Windows class. It was
nice terminal, except the one we used was smaller than the terminals we use
here at my new job (Visual 19" displays).  Towerview is worth looking at,
but make sure they support it on the hardware you intend to hook it up to.

--John

--
John Ramspott						gatech!stiatl!jer
Sales Technologies, Inc