[comp.windows.x] Life for old SUN3/50s as X-terminals?

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (02/02/90)

The Grasshopper Group has done an X.11/NeWS merge window system that
ran on Sun 3/50s (like an Xterm).  They had first done a NeWS 1.1
terminal whicjh had very good preformance.  The X.11/NeWS merge they
showed at Summer Usenix was slow.. but they had just finished the
first phase of the port and hadn't hacked for preformance.  Last I
heard they hadn't decided what they were going to do with.

Hello Grasshopper?  Hugh?  John?  There are many of us who are interested
in this if you ever sell it.

---mark verber

reggie@dinsdale.nm.paradyne.com (George W. Leach) (02/02/90)

In article <10923@etana.tut.fi> pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
>From article <7731@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, by rac1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (robert.a.clark):
>> Has anyone tried converting a SUN3/50 from a UNIX workstation into a
>> X-terminal? I think that it is feasible, but would take some work. We

>	We have thought that also, but lack of information about
>	innards of workstation causes some problems.

        At the Summer USENIX Conference in Baltimore this past June,
John Gilmore of the Grasshopper Group indicated that they were working
on a minimal kernal for the Sun 3/50 in order for it to be used as a
NeWS server/terminal.  This was at the NeWS (or was it X11/NeWS?) BOF.
I forget the details.  If they were going to support the X11/NeWS mergered
server, then this will help you.

>	Also nobody around here seems to be interested to finance
>	such projects.

        Sun was funding the work by Grasshopper.  Perhaps John or one of
the other Grasshopper Group folks would like to comment upon this?

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
(uunet|att)!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL 34649-2826 USA

arl@cs.hut.fi (Ari Lemmke) (02/02/90)

In article <7731@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> rac1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM
(robert.a.clark) writes:
>   Has anyone tried converting a SUN3/50 from a UNIX workstation into a
>   X-terminal? I think that it is feasible, but would take some work. We

	A solution to this would be:

		run x-kernel (ftp from cs.arizona.edu),
		and run X-server on top of it ...
		but first someone has to do porting ...

	It would be much quicker without un*x daemons and
	other stuff.

>   Bob Clark, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ, 201-949-3325

	arl

p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) (02/08/90)

In article <1366@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) writes:
>The Grasshopper Group has done an X.11/NeWS merge window system that
>ran on Sun 3/50s (like an Xterm). ...
>Hello Grasshopper?  Hugh?  John?  There are many of us who are interested
>in this if you ever sell it.

If this project becomes reality, we would be interested in it.
Currently, we use some Sun3/60 mostly as display devices and we want
to leave computational tasks (we do digital image processing) on
our faster machines.

Michael van Elst
uunet!unido!mpirbn!uucp