[comp.windows.x] IBM X for PS/2

pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (02/02/90)

Has anyone tried (successfully) to get IBM's X Windows for DOS
working?  This is the one where the PC basically becomes ax X terminal.

When I invoke xondos and telnet to an IBM RT, I invoke aixterm &, exit
and I see "socket reset" flash on the screen.  Then I get an X background
and nothing happens.

When connecting to the Sun 3, nothing happens also.

I can start an xterm remotely with the PC as a display, but after a
nondeterministic amount of time, everything hangs up!!!!!!!!!
i.e. ico stops and puzzle stops?

/*------------Thanks in advance...---------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies   INET  pcb@gator.cacs.sl.edu     |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana                                   |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ROB%UNB.CA@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (02/05/90)

On  Thu, 1 Feb 90 21:19:24 GMT  "Peter C. Bahrs"
<samsung!rex!rouge!gator!pcb@THINK.COM> writes:

> Has anyone tried (successfully) to get IBM's X Windows for DOS
> working?  This is the one where the PC basically becomes ax X
> terminal.
> When I invoke xondos and telnet to an IBM RT, I invoke aixterm &, exit
> and I see "socket reset" flash on the screen.  Then I get an X
> background and nothing happens.

try:
telnet othermachine
..normal logon...
nohup aixterm dosmachine:0 &
exit
xondos   (after a short wait you should get an X display)
aixwm &
Your problem may be in failing to get the name:display of the
dos machine correct when invoking aixterm.

emuleomo@paul.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) (02/09/90)

How to get IBM X windows for DOS??

Please E-mail!

--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
** The ONLY thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history!