[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows / R4 compatibility

alan@judy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Alan S. Mazer) (02/09/90)

I have yet another question.  Given that we're running OpenWindows, what
parts of MIT R4 are useful and compatible?  For example, can we grab the
latest version of the XView library from the MIT distribution and use that
in place of what we got with OpenWindows?  Can we get dbxtool and use that
in OpenWindows?  One obvious problem seems to be that we won't have an
imake, so we may have to set up Makefiles by hand.  Any other problems
come to mind?

-- Alan				# "But seriously, what could go wrong?"
   ..!cit-vax!elroy!alan
   alan@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.182215.11801@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> alan@judy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Alan S. Mazer) writes:
>I have yet another question.  Given that we're running OpenWindows, what
>parts of MIT R4 are useful and compatible?

In general, R4 libs and clients should use the R4 libraries.  To set this up
for shared libs, use ldconfig instead of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  See summery of
common questions for details.

>For example, can we grab the
>latest version of the XView library from the MIT distribution and use that
>in place of what we got with OpenWindows?

The version of XView supplied with R4 and OW 1.0.1 is release 1.0.1.  The
version of XView supplied with OW 1.0 is release 1.0.  The two releases of
XView (1.0 and 1.0.1) are not binary compatible. So, you cannot replace the
shared 1.0 XView library with the 1.0.1 one.

Once you get OW 1.0.1, the two XView libraries from OW 1.0.1 and R4 are
interchangeable.  You'll notice that the source product will compile with
the same major and minor number for the shared library (which means one
can replace the other).

>Can we get dbxtool and use that
>in OpenWindows?

dbxtool source is not publically available.

>One obvious problem seems to be that we won't have an
>imake, so we may have to set up Makefiles by hand.  Any other problems
>come to mind?

You should get imake...it will take less time that way.  Although if
you really want to do this, XView supplies the original SunPro Makefiles
used in our builds.  They are called, "Makefile.sunpro".  I don't advise
doing this since the source we supply to MIT is not in the same build
tree as that we use internally.  Seriously, it'll be more work to try to
fix the Makefiles than to get, install, and learn imake.

Regards,

Heather