[comp.windows.x] Building some of the clients

razdan@chanakya.oakhill.uucp (Anshuman Razdan) (02/07/90)

I built X11R4 and some clientsfrom the contrib dir on a sun 3/470

I ran into following problems :

(a)  My xterm menus appear humongous i.e. the menu pane almost covers
     up the whole screen.  The twm menu shows up O.K.

(b)  I experienced simmmilar problem starting emacs.  Previously by default
     emacs would bring up a small window.  Now the emacs window is almost
     4 to 5 times the screen - so all I have visible is upper left corner.
     this goes away with if emacs is started with geometry option.  Little
     irritating but it may have some thing to do with (a).

(c)  In the process of building Makefile for xlock, the original Makefile
     got trashed and I could not make it to make a make file so I compiled it
     like the following :

     xlock: $(OBJS)
        cc   $(CFLAGS) $(OBJS) $(INCLUDES)\
        -L/usr/local/lib -lX11 $(SYS_LIBRARIES) -o xlock

     It compiled alright but when I run xlock it blacks out the screen for
     a moment but comes back with the following message
	X Error:  BadValue, integer parameter out of range for operation
  		Request Major code 26 ()
  		Request Minor code
  		ResourceID 0xffff
  		Error Serial #32
  		Current Serial #32

	I do not have original Makefile.  Could somebody give me a fix or clue to
	a fix.

(d)  I am having problem getting xmh started.  xmh starts and waits for user/twm
     to place the window and with a flash (one can barely see the outlines of some
     buttons forming) dies with segmentation fault - no core dumped.
     Any body got a clue.

Anshuman Razdan
oakhill!chanakya!razdan@cs.utecas.edu

converse@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Donna Converse) (02/07/90)

> I built X11R4 and some clientsfrom the contrib dir on a sun 3/470
> I ran into following problems :
>
> (a)  My xterm menus appear humongous i.e. the menu pane almost covers
>      up the whole screen.  The twm menu shows up O.K.
>
> (b)  I experienced simmmilar problem starting emacs.

Try starting these clients without giving any of your private X resource
specifications to them.  Look for geometry specifications in your resource
specs that could be causing this.  In particular, change xterm*geometry
to xterm*vt100.geometry.

> (d)  I am having problem getting xmh started.  xmh starts and waits for user/twm
>      to place the window and with a flash (one can barely see the outlines of some
>      buttons forming) dies with segmentation fault - no core dumped.
>      Any body got a clue.

Yeah, I got a clue.  Compile this client with a compiler other than
gcc 1.34, 1.35, or 1.36.

Donna Converse
converse@expo.lcs.mit.edu

razdan@chanakya.oakhill.uucp (Anshuman Razdan) (02/09/90)

In article <9002062324.AA01163@expo.lcs.mit.edu> converse@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Donna Converse) writes:

   >> I built X11R4 and some clientsfrom the contrib dir on a sun 3/470
   >> I ran into following problems :
   >>
   >> (a)  My xterm menus appear humongous i.e. the menu pane almost covers
   >>      up the whole screen.  The twm menu shows up O.K.
   >>
   >> (b)  I experienced simmmilar problem starting emacs.

  > Try starting these clients without giving any of your private X resource
  > specifications to them.  Look for geometry specifications in your resource
  > specs that could be causing this.  In particular, change xterm*geometry
  > to xterm*vt100.geometry.

  > Donna Converse
  > converse@expo.lcs.mit.edu

*****************

   Two questions to make things clear:

(a) How do I specify "vt100" on a command line.  For example I want to invoke
   xterm from a shell (or twm menu)

   xterm -geometry 100x50 is what I would do normally.

   Also how can I put it in my default file (which would be .XTerm in $HOME)
   Say for example I want to set geometry of a xterm window called Window1.
   Do I say
   XTerm*Window1*vt100.geometry: 30x23.  In particular "xterm*vt100.geometry"
   option is not clear.  Sorry for asking a dumb(?) question.

(b)  Refer to original question (a) I have simmilar problems with all the
     clients that use athena widgets.  For example the initial window of xman
    or the menu buttons of xmh also have humongous windows.  Surprisingly
    this thng is not noticed on other work stations running the same copy of clients.
    I do not have a clue as to what environ variable or some thing else I may be setting
    or not setting.

Anshuman Razdan
oakhill!chanakaya!razdan@cs.utexas.edu

morreale@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Peter Morreale) (02/09/90)

In article <RAZDAN.90Feb8162702@chanakya.oakhill.uucp> you write:

>    Two questions to make things clear:
>
> (a) How do I specify "vt100" on a command line.  For example I want to invoke
>    xterm from a shell (or twm menu)
>
>    xterm -geometry 100x50 is what I would do normally.

 Try:  xterm -geometry 100x50 -tn vt100

 This will set the TERM env. variable to be vt100.  Be forwarned that
 the vt100 termcap entry has settings for an 80x24 screen.  Most of
 your editing will be mucked up.  (ie: not take advantage of your
 screen size)  There is an xterm termcap entry in the sources for xterm.
 Have your system administrator install this in the termcap database.

>    Also how can I put it in my default file (which would be .XTerm in $HOME)
>    Say for example I want to set geometry of a xterm window called Window1.
>    Do I say
>    XTerm*Window1*vt100.geometry: 30x23.  In particular "xterm*vt100.geometry"
>    option is not clear.  Sorry for asking a dumb(?) question.

  Not dumb at all.  There are two things you must know.

      1) how to tell the client which resources are his/hers, and

      2) how to set the resources so that client picks them up.

  For the first, use the "-name" option on the commandline to tell xterm
  which instances(?) of resources to grab from the resource database.

  Then you use that name in your resource file to define the resources
  that you want for that client.  Example:

     xterm -name XTerm-wind1 .......

   Then in your resource file:

     XTerm-wind1*VT100.geometry:  80x32

   As far as the "xterm*vt100.geometry:" suggestion...  In R4 xterms,
   there is menu widget below the VT100 widget that also has a geometry
   specification.  In the case of the menu widget, a "standard" VT100
   geometry of 80x32 would make the menus window 80x32 *pixels* in size.
   These are fairly difficult to read....

   Many people, myself included, had geometry specifications of:

     xterm*geometry:  80x40

     or

     xterm*VT100*geometry: 80x40

   This would match the menu's requirements as well.  By using:

    xterm*VT100.geometry:  80x40

   You explictly set the (for lack of a better word) *regular* xterm
   window to 80x40 and the menu windows will size themselves according
   the the font used.  The "." after the VT100 is all important in this
   case.

> (b)  Refer to original question (a) I have simmilar problems with all the
>      clients that use athena widgets.  For example the initial window of xman
>     or the menu buttons of xmh also have humongous windows.  Surprisingly
>     this thng is not noticed on other work stations running the same
copy of clients.
>     I do not have a clue as to what environ variable or some thing
else I may be setting
>     or not setting.

   Probably the same sort of thing.  Check those resources as well.
   Outside of this, you really need to read the man pages for the
   clients you expect to be using.  When I first started I found it
   useful to pick one client and continually set resources and see the
   results.

Hope this helps,
-PWM
Peter W. Morreale                  email:  morreale@ncar.ucar.edu
Nat'l Center for Atmos Research    voice:  (303) 497-1293
Scientific Computing Division
Consulting Office