[comp.windows.x] How do I get custom Icons under olwm?

baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) (02/08/90)

I have recently converted all my SunView icons to X bitmaps (thanks Jef!).
Now, I cannot figure out how to get olwm to use them.

I have read the documentation, and don't see anything about how to set
icons from olwm.  I would like to be able to set different icons for things
like xterm that do not specify their own icons.  Preferably from the
command line, so they can but put into lines in my .olwmmenu.

I am running on a SUN 3, with X11R4, fixes-1 from mit not installed, but
patch 1 of XView installed.  Libraries compiled with cc, programs with
gcc 1.36.

The default toolbox icon is cute, but I would like to have something other
than that.  Any help is welcomed.

Thanks.

--
steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (02/09/90)

In article <294@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> baur@venice.sedd.trw.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

>I have read the documentation, and don't see anything about how to set
>icons from olwm.  I would like to be able to set different icons for things
>like xterm that do not specify their own icons.  Preferably from the
>command line, so they can but put into lines in my .olwmmenu.

This is not really a window manager issue...

The client program should provide a way to set its icon's bitmap image.
I'm not sure about xterm, but I believe it lacks this kind of command line
argument.  When I type in "xterm -help" I do not see anything like icon image.

In the case of XView programs, they all understand some standard
command line arguments.  (to see a list type "cmdtool -help")

So, do XView programs take an X bitmap as a command line argument for an
icon?  Not currently.  The support for X bitmap images is there.  However,
the frame code which parses the common command line arguments assumes the
incoming file is in SunView icon format.

One possible solution is to look for some majik cookie to tell an X bitmap
file from a SunView icon file and then just do the right thing.  Another
possible solution is to add a command line argument to tell the frame
code that this is an X bitmap instead of a SunView icon.

Regards,

Heather