[comp.windows.x] X11 on PC class machines under UNIX

poser@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) (02/07/90)

Can anyone tell me whether X11 has been ported to run on IBM-PC
class machines (IBM or clone) under variants of UNIX (Xenix etc.)?
Thanks.

mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (02/08/90)

/* Written 12:29 am  Feb  7, 1990 by poser@csli.Stanford.EDU in silver:comp.windows.x */
> /* ---------- "X11 on PC class machines under UNIX" ---------- */
> Can anyone tell me whether X11 has been ported to run on IBM-PC
> class machines (IBM or clone) under variants of UNIX (Xenix etc.)?
> Thanks.

     I dont think it has been ported to IBM PC (8086,8088) or compatibles.
 X requires a fair amount of compute power (most people say AT LEAST a 386).
 Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
                                        Terrence Mitchem

ken@mm.uucp (Ken Seefried iii) (02/11/90)

In article <33500011@silver> mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu writes:

>/* Written 12:29 am  Feb  7, 1990 by poser@csli.Stanford.EDU in silver:comp.windows.x */
>> Can anyone tell me whether X11 has been ported to run on IBM-PC
>> class machines (IBM or clone) under variants of UNIX (Xenix etc.)?
>> Thanks.
>
>     I dont think it has been ported to IBM PC (8086,8088) or compatibles.
> X requires a fair amount of compute power (most people say AT LEAST a 386).
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
>                                        Terrence Mitchem

Your wrong...at least partially.

We have in house two versions of the X *server* (no clients) that run on
PC class machines.  One is from GSS and is called `Xview' and the other
is from a shop called Integrated Inference Machines (dumb name of the
week award winner) and is called `X11/AT'.  These run under DOS and I
think will work on anything from a PC up.  Don't know for sure, as I
don't use them.

Under Unix, almost everyone has an X11 on the 386 platforms, and for a
wide variety of displays.  I've never heard of an X for 286 Unix boxes.

<soapbox mode>

For what it's worth, I find X performance on 386-PC architectures
abysmal.  If you wanna run X, get a real machine.  Low end workstations
cost less than 386/486 boxes do once you add software, etc.

<soapbox mode off>

Sorry...

--
       Ken Seefried iii             ...!<anywhere>!uunet!gatech!mm!ken
         MetaMedia, Inc.              ken%mm.uucp@gatech.edu