[comp.windows.x] X for the Macintosh running the finder, not AU/X?

mike@DART.CS.BYU.EDU (Mike Burbidge) (02/08/90)

Does anyone know of such a beast. I want my Mac to be an X server sometimes
without switching back and forth between AU/X and the finder.

Mike Burbidge.
mike@cs.byu.edu

jlv@cs.brown.edu (Jeff Vogel) (02/08/90)

In article <9002072138.AA15933@dart.cs.byu.edu> mike@DART.CS.BYU.EDU (Mike Burbidge) writes:
>Does anyone know of such a beast. I want my Mac to be an X server sometimes
>without switching back and forth between AU/X and the finder.
>
>Mike Burbidge.
>mike@cs.byu.edu

This is definately on the way, if it hasn't been released yet.
I've seen Beta this past summer.  The version I saw was
from Apple.

  Jeff Vogel                      |  PO Box 5173
  jlv@cs.brown.edu                |  Brown University
  uunet!brunix!jlv                |  Providence, RI 02912
  jlv@browncs.bitnet              |  401-863-7637, 401-421-6496

chris@cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Chris Smith,P-203,9501,) (02/10/90)

From article <9002072138.AA15933@dart.cs.byu.edu>, by mike@DART.CS.BYU.EDU (Mike Burbidge):
> Does anyone know of such a beast. I want my Mac to be an X server sometimes
> without switching back and forth between AU/X and the finder.
>
> Mike Burbidge.
> mike@cs.byu.edu

I'm currently running eXodus, a monochrome X11 server from White Pines
Software.  It runs under MacOS + Multifinder (or Finder).  The minimum
system requirements are any Mac with 1 Meg RAM, 3.5 double sided floppy
drive, and System 6.0 or higher.  It needs either a TCP/IP or DECNET
driver to run on top of.  (Right now, they support the TCP port from
Kinetics and 2 DECNET implemetations.  Support for MacTCP has been
promised.)

I'm presently running their Mac II version on a MacIIcx with the
Kinetics ethernet card and Kinetics software.  I've had very few problems
with this set up, other that the limitation of monochrome X-windows
(I've got a color screen, it's just that the product doesn't yet support
8-bit X.)

If you want more info, e-mail me a note.

Chris Smith

P.S. I have no connection with White Pines Software, other than
being a (mostly) satisfied customer.

Chris Smith                           |  BITNET: chris@cfa
Center for Astrophysics               |  Internet: chris@cfa.harvard.edu
Cambridge, MA 02138                   |      or chris@cfa160.harvard.edu

chas@fisher.Sun.COM (Chuck Fisher - Silicon Valley IC District SE Manager) (02/11/90)

In article <310@cfa.HARVARD.EDU> chris@cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Chris Smith,P-203,9501,) writes:
>I'm currently running eXodus, a monochrome X11 server from White Pines
>Software.

I saw a new version of this software running at the DEC Desktop Expo
held in Santa Clara last week.  eXodus II is *color* X11 server that
was shown running on a Mac II connected to DEC's VAX- and DECstation
products.  I didn't ask about the availability of the new software, so
it may not be released at this time.

Chuck

root@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (02/12/90)

The current version of the Exodus X Server for the Mac DOES support the MacTCP driver.