[comp.windows.x] Purdue Speedups

brian@amc.UUCP (Brian Crowley) (04/09/89)

Can somebody tell me where I can get a copy?

Thanks in advance.

        Brian Crowley
        Applied Microsystems Corp.
        Redmond Washington
        ...!uw-beaver!amc!brian

"In order to lead a balanced life, if you have a dog which adores you,
 go buy a cat to ignore you" - unknown

bob@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (04/10/89)

In article <948@amc.UUCP> brian@amc.UUCP (Brian Crowley) writes:
   Can somebody tell me where I can get a copy?

Look on expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/Purdue.2.[01]-tar.Z.  You'll also
need the GNU C compiler, from prep.ai.mit.edu:/u/emacs/gcc.tar-1.34.Z.

nancie@hal.CSS.GOV (Nancie Matson) (11/10/89)

I have heard alot of people mention a set to Speedups for the X
window environment written by Purdue, and I am interested in
finding out where I can get a copy of the patches.

I have already installed the 8 patches for X11R3 that were included
on the release tape, but the enviroment is very slow.  It doesn't help
that I am using a Sun 3/110 with only 4 meg, running OS4.0.3

I have tried to contact an X archive location, at archives@mcf, but
each time I try the mail is bounced back. (oh well...).

Also, How can I get ahold of the Patch9.  This was not included on
the Release tape I recieved.

Thanx in advance.

nancie@hal.css.gov

nancie@hal.CSS.GOV (Nancie Matson) (02/13/90)

I was wondering if the current version of X (X11R4) has
incorporated the Purdue Speedups Version 2.0 or 2.1 to
speed up the mfb code.  Also, I was told that the folks
at Purdue were working on a version for the cfb code,
and I would like to know if this has been completed/
or included in the source for X11R4.

Thanx in Advance.

nancie

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) (02/13/90)

> I was wondering if the current version of X (X11R4) has
> incorporated the Purdue Speedups Version 2.0 or 2.1 to
> speed up the mfb code.

All of the purdue speedups which produced measurable performance increases
were incorporated into X11R4.  Additional speedups engineered here at MIT
are also included which produce significant performance improvements
for text, copyarea and 0-width lines.

>                    Also, I was told that the folks
> at Purdue were working on a version for the cfb code,
> and I would like to know if this has been completed/
> or included in the source for X11R4.

The CFB code for R4 was written entirely at MIT and provides reasonable (some
would say "pretty darn good") performance for most 8-bit frame buffers.  Some
ideas from the Purdue monochrome speedups were incorporated, but the structure
of the monochrome speedups was not generally useful on an 8-bit display.

Keith Packard
MIT X Consortium

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (02/13/90)

Keith is being too modest.  He did a super job on the CFB code.  With
the exception of a some
things he's done since R4 came out, most things are about as good as you
can get using
portable C code.  You may be able to tune things a bit better for a
given machine/frame
buffer combination, but that is about it.

It has been fun to watch Keith and Joel McCormack (implementor of the
DECstation cfb server,
who has been known to write MIPS assembly code occasionally, when the optimizer
won't do cross basic block optimizations!) compete with each other on
who has the
fastest implementation of a given function.  By the consortium's
standards, Joel is
cheating when he wins that way, but by product metrics, Joel isn't
cheating, just
adding value (though Joel hasn't written much assembly code).
				- Jim

psgrp@thumper.bellcore.com (PSGRP Account) (02/14/90)

In article <9002122217.AA27286@xenon.lcs.mit.edu> keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) writes:

>> I was wondering if the current version of X (X11R4) has
>> incorporated the Purdue Speedups Version 2.0 or 2.1 to
>> speed up the mfb code.

>All of the purdue speedups which produced measurable performance increases
>were incorporated into X11R4.  Additional speedups engineered here at MIT
>are also included which produce significant performance improvements
>for text, copyarea and 0-width lines.

	I am revisiting an old problem that I have.  I didn't really
	get enough help to fix the problem.  So I am trying again.

	I am running on a SUN 3/60 (SUNOS 4.0.2) using X11R3.  The
	3/60 has two frame buffers, one monochrome and one color.
	Suntools actually takes advantage of this hardware
	configuration and uses both frame buffers as one display.
	However, X treats them as two separate desktops.  This is all
	ok, but I ran into a problem on my monochrome desktop.  I got
	overstriking characters and it looked like the fonts were
	messed up.  I was told at the time that the purdue speedups
	had something to do with it and I didn't get any further.

	Is this problem taken care of in X11R4.  I see a lot of
	problems with R4 on the net.  Is it stable enough to
	switch?  If someone knows more details on the fix for R3,
	I would also appreciate your reply.

--

	        ....bellcore!rruxh!monnie or
        	rruxh!monnie@thumper.bellcore.com