[comp.windows.x] XGrabPointer bug in R4?

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (02/13/90)

XGrabPointer, using owner == True, returns BadValue errors when an
event_mask is given.  The function acts as expected (sending events
given in the event_mask to the specified window) even though it
returns this error.  This error was not returned in R3; behavior
between the two versions (aside from the error return) is identical.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?  Email responses would
be appreciated.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

razdan@chanakya.oakhill.uucp (Anshuman Razdan) (02/14/90)

In article <1990Feb13.031943.3974@world.std.com> madd@world.std.com (jim frost) writes:

   XGrabPointer, using owner == True, returns BadValue errors when an
   event_mask is given.  The function acts as expected (sending events
   given in the event_mask to the specified window) even though it
   returns this error.  This error was not returned in R3; behavior
   between the two versions (aside from the error return) is identical.

   Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?  Email responses would
   be appreciated.

   jim frost
   saber software
   jimf@saber.com

I am posting this not as a reply but having noticed similar
behaviour in controlloing the sash in the VPane widget of
HP widget set.  I posted an article regarding that before
(Haven't seen any responses yet).  If somebody does respond
please put it on the net also so that others can benefit
from it also.

Thanx

Anshuman Razdan

oakhill!chanakya!razdan@cs.utexas.edu

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/14/90)

(jim frost) writes:
> XGrabPointer, using owner == True, returns BadValue errors when an
> event_mask is given.  The function acts as expected (sending events
> given in the event_mask to the specified window) even though it
> returns this error.  This error was not returned in R3; behavior
> between the two versions (aside from the error return) is identical.

The Xlib manual says the event mask must be "the bitwise inclusive OR
of the valid pointer event mask bits".  Valid events are listed under
"POINTEREVENT" on p. 349 of Scheifler's DP book.  Your event mask
probably contains invalid events.  R3 sample servers incorrectly
ignored invalid events.  R4 sample servers correctly give you a bad
value error.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee