[comp.windows.x] how to get vt100 PF1-PF12 keys on a Sun3 kbd in xterm?

rayan@cs.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (02/13/90)

Sorry for polluting this forum, but I've exhausted all written and human
resources around here.  It would seem some combination of setkeys, xmodmap,
and xterm magic might do the trick, but I'm lost... help please?

The objective is to pass through the various ESC [ <letter> or
ESC O <letter> codes to an application, e.g. tn3270.

Thanks,

rayan

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (02/14/90)

| From: rayan@cs.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen)
|
| Sorry for polluting this forum, but I've exhausted all written and human
| resources around here.  It would seem some combination of setkeys, xmodmap,
| and xterm magic might do the trick, but I'm lost... help please?
|
| The objective is to pass through the various ESC [ <letter> or
| ESC O <letter> codes to an application, e.g. tn3270.

  Can we get this added to the list of Stupid User Questions?  This was
just asked last Friday and answered yesterday.

morreale@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Peter Morreale) (02/14/90)

In article <48452@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>| From: rayan@cs.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen)
>|
>| Sorry for polluting this forum, but I've exhausted all written and human
>| resources around here.  It would seem some combination of setkeys, xmodmap,
>| and xterm magic might do the trick, but I'm lost... help please?
>|
>| The objective is to pass through the various ESC [ <letter> or
>| ESC O <letter> codes to an application, e.g. tn3270.
>
>  Can we get this added to the list of Stupid User Questions?  This was
>just asked last Friday and answered yesterday.

No we can't. *flame*  This is about the only resource new users to X
have in getting questions answered.  It doesn't matter whether the
question was asked/answered two minutes ago.

Many times over the last year the question was posed about splitting up
this newsgroup to allow for a "basic X question" sort of group and a X
programmer's group.  For whatever reason(s), that split did not occur.

This newsgroup generates a tremendous volume of postings, 90% (or more)
of which related to X programming.  I'm sure that to some, many of the
programming questions are just as basic.  To others, the volume of
messages can be quite overwelming.  To expect a new X user to wade
through all the postings on the chance that his/her question has already
been answered is unreasonable.

If these type questions bother you, there are such things as "delete"
and "kill" commands in whatever newsreader you are using.  I suggest you
learn how to use them.  I am not an X programmer and I have.

-PWM
Peter W. Morreale                  email:  morreale@ncar.ucar.edu
Nat'l Center for Atmos Research    voice:  (303) 497-1293
Scientific Computing Division