[comp.windows.x] X on 386

randy@erik.UUCP (Randy Brown) (02/14/90)

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:

>I have some questions about running and developing X-windows on the 386.

>How much memory should be loaded up to run X?
I have run with 4MB, just for fun, and it wasn't--swap time--though
nothing actually died. 8MB minimum recommended, but see below re new
versions.  On the other hand, you really don't want to do development
(compiling, linking, etc.) on any system less than 8MB, do you?

>Are there any alternatives to SCO and Interactive for X development/use
>on the 386?
Believe it or not, AT&T sells Unix for the 386, and has a solid, stable
X implementation.  Early on, they couldn't seem to spell TCP/IP, but
they've got over that. (No, I didn't want Starlan.)  Real Soon Now, they
are releasing a new version that comes up to X11R3 and is said
to run faster, jump higher, dive deeper and come up drier than the
previous solid but memory-hungry version.

>Are there any Open Look development packages available on the 386?
Yes. AT&T USO sells source licenses for Open Look for $1000.  This is
a widget-based toolkit, not XView (which is available for free, but not
well-adapted to System V Release 3.2--better to wait for R4 if you want
XView) (IMHO).  Call  201-829-8959 Joanne Newbauer, USO OL source mgr.
If you want to buy a binary, call 201-898-6432 Nancy Trachtenbarg
(attmail!trachtenbarg).  The binary includes server (for VGA and other
PC type displays), Xlib, Xt, and widgets.  The upgrade policy is
rather primitive, so be sure and hold out for Version 2 of the binary.
(Source upgrade seems to be free--note that USO and the folks who
sell 6386's and binaries do work for different organizations.)

>Respond via email.  Thanx.
I would have, but I thought others might be interested in the info.