[comp.windows.x] Killing the server

alex@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (02/14/90)

In article <RUSTY.90Feb12164101@garnet.berkeley.edu> rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu (rusty wright) writes:
>Can the "ahead" value be negative?  I always like to be late.

	Oh yes, all nature of perversion can be had if you've got
the mind for it. As part of an xlock program for the student workstations,
I've got xclock running backwards as a 15 minute timer (when the clock
runs out it kills your processes).

	What I would really like to do, though is reset the server or
otherwise get back to the xdm login window. Something like:

	XResetServer(...)

obviously, this call doesn't exist. Is there any way of accomplishing
this cleanly?

#################################		:alex.
#Disclamer: Anyone who agrees   #    University of Maryland Baltimore County
#with me deserves what they get.#	alex@umbc3.umbc.edu
#################################

mikey@wsl.dec.com (Mike Yang) (02/14/90)

In article <2785@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, alex@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
> 	What I would really like to do, though is reset the server or
> otherwise get back to the xdm login window. Something like:
>
> 	XResetServer(...)
>
> obviously, this call doesn't exist. Is there any way of accomplishing
> this cleanly?

Well, you could use the "technique" mentioned in an earlier message
and use XDestroySubwindows to destroy all the children of the root
window, and hope that this disconnects all the connections to the
server, thus resetting it...

Mike Yang	   Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
mikey@wsl.dec.com	  decwrl!mikey			 415/853-6677