[comp.windows.x] Desktop Publishing Programs with OSF/Motif

dave@island.uu.net (David Newman) (02/15/90)

longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!robert writes:

>In article <6478@ogicse.ogc.edu> goward@ogicse.ogc.edu (Philip Goward) writes:
>>

>> Hi!
>>
>>  I'm looking for MacPaint and MacWrite style software for
>>  X or NeWS (preferably in the public domain).  Anyone know
>>  any location I can obtain these from?
>>
>>   Also if anyone out there has a version of troff that runs
>>   under X or NeWS and the sources for it are available....
>
>I don't know of a word processing appliction for X (if someone does please
>post the source as I am looking for the same thing)  The other applications
>are available at:
>
>	expo.lcs.mit.edu           18.30.0.212
>
>Or just about any other comp.sources.x archive site.  Hope this helps.
>
>Robert Thompson
>Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
>Colorado State University

[caution: Press Release Ahead :-]

software for X, Island Graphics Corporation, the company that
along with Sun Microsystems created SunWrite, SunPaint, and
SunDraw, has announced a new suite of office publishing
applications that run with OSF/Motif.

Here are excerpts from a February 9, 1990 posting in comp.newprod:

                    ISLAND GRAPHICS INTRODUCES
                   THE ISLAND OFFICE SERIES(tm)
                  UNDER OSF/MOTIF(tm) AT UNIFORUM

         IslandWrite(tm), IslandPaint(tm) & IslandDraw(tm)
            Shown on HP's Apollo Personal Workstations
              and on HP 9000 Series 300 Workstations

     WASHINGTON, D.C. January 23, 1990 -- Island Graphics
Corporation introduced its newest office publishing applica-
tions, IslandWrite, IslandPaint, and IslandDraw under the X
Window System-based OSF/Motif graphical user interface, at
UniForum today.  The products, the first in the Island
Office Series, were shown on HP's Apollo personal worksta-
tions and HP 9000 Series 300 workstations in Island's booth,
and in the Hewlett-Packard Company booth.

       The Island Office Series is intended to serve office
publishing needs ranging from writing memos and letters to
creating illustrated reports and newsletters.  IslandWrite
is a word processing and desktop publishing package that
accepts graphics from IslandDraw, an object-oriented illus-
tration package, and IslandPaint, a raster graphics editor.
Each program provides PostScript(R) output to laser
printers and imagesetters.

     The Island Office Series will be distributed by the
Apollo Direct Channel beginning April 1, 1990, for the
Apollo personal workstations, and July 1, 1990, for the HP
Series 300 workstations.  Apollo Direct is an after-market
sales channel that enables Apollo users to select from a
wide variety of products that add functionality to their
installed equipment.  IslandWrite is priced at $595, while
IslandPaint and IslandDraw can be purchased together for
$495.  The U.S. toll-free number for Apollo Direct is 1-
800-225-5290.  The Island Office Series runs on the entire
Apollo personal workstation family, ranging from the Series
2500 to the Series 4500.  It also runs on the HP 9000 Series
300.
         Island Graphics Corporation, headquartered in San
Rafael, California, is the leading developer of UNIX desktop
publishing and prepress software.  Island Graphics has
created a wide range of products for publishing and prepress
system vendors in the United States, Europe, and Japan,
including Sun Microsystems, Nixdorf, Dainippon Screen
Manufacturing Company, AT&T Information Systems, AGFA Compu-
graphic, ArborText and H. Berthold Fototype.

                            -30-

UNIX is a trademark of AT&T. OSF/Motif is a trademark of the
Open Software Foundation, Inc.  PostScript is a registered
trademark of Adobe Systems, Inc.

Contact:        David Newman            Lynn Wehner
                Marketing Manager       Public Relations
                Island Graphics         Hewlett-Packard Company
                415/491-1000            508/256-6600  x 7717
                dave@island.uu.net