[comp.windows.x] Running FRAME X11.R3 under X11.R4 corrected

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb11.184104.5253@aurora.com> geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) writes:
[X-perts ignore, this is some info-sharing for regular sod's]

A note for FRAME X users, FRAME tech support just helped me to get
FRAME 1.3x running under X11.R4.  You have to add "xset bc" to your
.xinitrc file.  I am sure this is in the release notes somewhere, but
I didn't notice it, so maybe others didn't either.  Presumably, this
might be useful for running other X11.R3 clients under R4.

I was also warned that FRAME for 11.3 is somewhat flakey under R4.

- Geof
--
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com

horen@cadence.com (Jonathan Horen) (02/15/90)

In article <1990Feb12.180217.7975@aurora.com> geof@aurora.UUCP (Geoffrey H. Cooper) writes:
>In article <1990Feb11.184104.5253@aurora.com> geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) writes:
>[X-perts ignore, this is some info-sharing for regular sod's]
>
>A note for FRAME X users, FRAME tech support just helped me to get
>FRAME 1.3x running under X11.R4.  You have to add "xset bc" to your
>.xinitrc file.  I am sure this is in the release notes somewhere, but
>I didn't notice it, so maybe others didn't either.  Presumably, this
>might be useful for running other X11.R3 clients under R4.
>
>I was also warned that FRAME for 11.3 is somewhat flakey under R4.

Unless you are committed to being a masochist, *forget* FrameMaker1.3X!

A far better solution is to run X11/XNeWS OpenWindows, and run the
regular FrameMaker (1.3 or 2.0). Both of them run in this XWindows
environment, and do "nice" things, like recognizing your keyboard
macros, providing left/right double quotes when you press
Meta-` or Meta -', etc.

Our problem is that we are using the Motif window manager (a great
product). As Frame's TechSupport told me yesterday, 1.3X was made
prior to Motif, and so it is not fully compatible. Believe me, that
makes a lot of problems.

X11/XNeWS OpenWindows may not look as nicely art-deco as Motif, but
it gives you all those products you'vd grown to love, like Mailtool!

	"The Sun NEVER sets!"

 | _J_o_n_a_t_h_a_n_ _B_._ _H_o_r_e_n_ _ _ _ _  | |  .           |       Lilmod Al Manat Laasot    |
 | _C_a_d_e_n_c_e_ _D_e_s_i_g_n_ _S_y_s_t_e_m_s | |__ (/\   \  / |__     Lilmod Al Manat Lelamed   |
 |                        |  _/ / _\  _\/   _/     Lilmod Al Manat Lichtov   |
 | _h_o_r_e_n_@_c_a_d_e_n_c_e_._c_o_m      |            -:   -                                |