[comp.windows.x] GET_Display

abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Aliasghar Babadi) (02/14/90)

Hi,

	I want to know if it is possible to access the display structure
of an independent X application. I appreciate any help or comment. thank
you all.

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/15/90)

In article <386@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu.edu>,
abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Aliasghar Babadi) writes:
> 	I want to know if it is possible to access the display structure
> of an independent X application. I appreciate any help or comment. thank
> you all.

Not without a private IPC protocol with that application.  The display
structure is a client-side resource, so cannot be accessed through the
server.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (02/15/90)

[ (Aliasghar Babadi) writes: ]

> 	I want to know if it is possible to access the display structure
> of an independent X application. I appreciate any help or comment. thank
> you all.

The display is stored in the applications private data space, and just contains
information about that applications connection to an X Server.  Another client
should just open its own connect to the same server.  It can then operate on any
of the first clients windows.

I am not sure why an applicantion would ever need to access another client's
display structure, can you be more specific in the information that you
are looking for?

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium

Net:	 kit@expo.lcs.mit.edu