[comp.windows.x] X-terminal ??

francis@summer.bt.co.uk (Francis Tsui) (02/16/90)

Excuse me for my ignorance, but can anyone tell me
how an X-terminal works?  Does the server run on the terminal
or on the host?

Thanks.

Francis Tsui	British Telecom Research Lab.
		Martlesham Heath,
		Ipswich.

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/17/90)

In article <1285@sun2.summer.bt.co.uk>, francis@summer.bt.co.uk (Francis
Tsui) writes:
> Excuse me for my ignorance, but can anyone tell me
> how an X-terminal works?  Does the server run on the terminal
> or on the host?

With the DEC X terminal, the server runs in the terminal.  You send a
normal X protocol over your network to the terminal.  The terminal also
includes all the networking software, so you install it on your network
just like a workstation.  Some X terminals put part of the server on
the host and use a special protocol to communicate between the host and
terminal.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both designs.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee