[comp.windows.x] andrew & Sparc Server

wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) (02/15/90)

I have played a bit with the andrew tools provided with the X11R4 tape and
found that on several occasions running Andrew applications caused the
server on my Sparc to go south.  This usually happens after the application
has been running for awhile.

Has anyone else come across this phenomenon?  If there is a cure, can someone
enlighten me?

Thanks for any help,
Tom

--
+---Disclaimer:-Any-opinions-expressed-in----+ I don't know what I'm talking
| Tom Wolf      | Phone:  (201) 949-2079     | about.  If it were otherwise, I
| Bell Labs, NJ | E-mail: wolf@howdy.att.com | wouldn't be talking about things
+---this-article-may-not-be-those-of-AT&T.---+ I don't know anything about.

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (02/17/90)

I use Andrew constantly on a Sparc with no problem, as do many other
people I know.  One posible cause of your problem would be if you
compiled anything (Andrew or X11) using the -O flag to produce
"optimized" object files.  I have seen some definite and reproducible
cases where "optimized"  means that it concluded that the program was
probably going to die eventually anyway, so why wait until later?  We've
had several programs that suddenly became unbuggy on the Sparc when we
compiled them without optimizaton.

If you compiled the server with -O, that is very likely your problem.
  [An Andrew ToolKit view (a raster image) was included here, but could
not be displayed.] [An Andrew ToolKit view (a raster image) was included
                   here, but could not be displayed.]

           Nathaniel S. Borenstein <nsb@thumper.bellcore.com>
        Member of Technical Staff,  Bell Communications Research
   Office: Bellcore Room MRE 2A-274, 445 South Street, Morristown, NJ
                       07962-1910, (201) 829-4270
     Home: 25 Washington Ave., Morristown, NJ 07960, (201) 993-8586

garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (02/17/90)

In article <8216@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) writes:

> I have played a bit with the andrew tools provided with the X11R4 tape and
> found that on several occasions running Andrew applications caused the
> server on my Sparc to go south.  This usually happens after the application
> has been running for awhile.
>
> Has anyone else come across this phenomenon?  If there is a cure, can someone
> enlighten me?

I have seen this too.  I basically stopped using andrew since it appeared
to have this major problem.  It is not specific to sparcs though.  It also
crashed my vax qdss server and my sun3 server.

I'd be interested in a cure as well.

Gary Faulkner
National Center for Supercomputing Applications - University of Illinois
Internet: garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

>I have seen this too.  I basically stopped using andrew since it appeared
>to have this major problem.  It is not specific to sparcs though.  It also
>crashed my vax qdss server and my sun3 server.

A claim is made in fix-2 that said fix fixes problems with arcs; one
such problem is exhibited when "zip" draws arcs.  You might try getting
fix-1 and fix-2, and applying them....