[comp.windows.x] X11R4 leak

anon@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Omar S. Juma) (02/08/90)

CPU:        DECstation 3100
OS:         Ultrix 3.1
Display:    19" color
Server:     X11R4 MIT (Xcfbpmax)
WM:         mwm / twm

The X11R4 server grew to an 11K virtual image over 4 days.  Leaks
supposedly created by Epoch not releasing resources (fonts, maybe).
Other clients (xman, for example) cause the server to grow.

I was under the impression that resources allocated for a specific
client are released when the client exits.  This doesn't appear to
be happening.

There has been previous mention here of memory leaks.  I previously
used an X11R3 server from DEC, and never had any trouble with memory.
What is the experience of others with R4?

...anon...
anon@eecs.umich.edu

crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) (02/16/90)

In article <1406@zipeecs.umich.edu>, anon@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Omar S.
Juma) writes:

> There has been previous mention here of memory leaks.  I previously
> used an X11R3 server from DEC, and never had any trouble with memory.
> What is the experience of others with R4?

On an HP9000/340 running hp-ux 6.5, we've found that our X environment
uses much more memory under R4. Within 24 hours of upgrading we'd run
out of communal swap space - something we never did with R3. As far as
we could tell the number and type of clients being used were similar to
that under R3.

As an attempt to get around this we've set xdm up to terminate the
server rather than reset it. This appears to have helped for the moment
(although we're wondering if we'll have to revert to xinit when we
upgrade other clusters with less swap space).

Chris
Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093

unspoilt by progress

fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) (02/19/90)

On a Sun 386i/150 (SunOS 4.0.2, 8 Meg, 16 Meg swap), I've seen Xsun grow to
over 2 meg in about fifteen minutes of playing with xgc.  I really noticed it
when I tried to run a couple of new processes, and got an "out of memory"
message.  Did a ps, and Xsun had grown to about 2.4 MB.  The system had been
up for less than 24 (probably less than 10) hours, and I hadn't noticed any
problems earlier.  (I do an occassional ps just to watch memory usage, since
I know that there's a problem.)
--
Frank Mayhar  fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (..!{uunet,hacgate}!ladcgw!fmayhar)
              Bull HN Information Systems Inc.  Los Angeles Development Center