[comp.windows.x] Mips config file for X R4 wanted

keith@osage.csc.ti.com (Keith Sparacin) (02/16/90)

I am looking for a Mips config file (i.e. mit/config/mips.cf) used to
build X release 4 on a Mips M2000 running RISC 4.0.  I only need the
client side.  Has anyone already done it?

Thanks,

Keith Sparacin (keith@csc.ti.com)
Texas Instruments

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (02/17/90)

From article <KEITH.90Feb15114346@osage.csc.ti.com>, by keith@osage.csc.ti.com (Keith Sparacin):
> I am looking for a Mips config file (i.e. mit/config/mips.cf) used to
> build X release 4 on a Mips M2000 running RISC 4.0.  I only need the
> client side.  Has anyone already done it?

I think this brings up the question of what the right name would be for
a config file for MIPS computers.  mips.cf, perhaps, but I propose that
that is somewhat confusing, since MipsArchitecture gets defined for systems
other than those by MIPS (e.g., DS3100).  How about riscos.cf, since nobody
but MIPS uses an OS called RISC/os?  The control block I use in Imake.tmpl
looks like this:

#ifdef riscos
/* RISC/os cpp has no unique symbol:  build imake with BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=-Driscos */
#define MacroIncludeFile <riscos.cf>
#define MacroFile riscos.cf
#undef riscos
#undef mips
#define RiscosArchitecture	/* for OS type */
#define MipsArchitecture	/* for chipset type */
#endif /* riscos */

Is this reasonable?

Note that the ambiguity about MipsArchitecture (i.e., not being able to tell
from it alone whether you're running on a MIPS) also applies to the symbol
"mips".  Unfortunately a certain amount of source code contains #ifdef's
to just that symbol.  Argh.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

john@acorn.co.uk (John Bowler) (02/19/90)

In article <1608@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <KEITH.90Feb15114346@osage.csc.ti.com>, by keith@osage.csc.ti.com (Keith Sparacin):
>> I am looking for a Mips config file (i.e. mit/config/mips.cf) used to
>> build X release 4 on a Mips M2000 running RISC 4.0.  I only need the
>> client side.  Has anyone already done it?
>
>I think this brings up the question of what the right name would be for
>a config file for MIPS computers.  mips.cf, perhaps, but I propose that
>that is somewhat confusing, since MipsArchitecture gets defined for systems
>other than those by MIPS (e.g., DS3100).  How about riscos.cf, since nobody
>but MIPS uses an OS called RISC/os?  The control block I use in Imake.tmpl
>looks like this:

Not true, we sell an operating system called ``RISC OS'' (NOTE - a space, no
/ character).  The more general question is ``given an operating system/machine
called wombat what special symbol should it defined''.  The answer must be
that that symbol should definately start with two _ characters (or one
and an upper case letter) - because the ANSI (and hence ISO) C standard
reserves these names for the implementation (so, the X code cannot be ANSI
conformant and contain (clashing) symbols which start __ or _[A-Z}, can
it? :-|.  It's a pity you can't put a / in a cpp symbol.  You can't put a
space in either...  Our current (not completely ANSI conformant) products
define:-

	ARM
	arm	(both indicate processor)
	unix	(on UN*X type systems)
	riscos	(on RISC OS systems)

In the future we (currently) intend these to become:-

	__arm
	__unix
	__riscos

I would suggest RISCos (not ANSI conformant) or __RISCos (more ANSI like),
although this breaks the pseudo-standard of using lower case.  The real
problem is the lack of a central registration authority for such symbols
(defining things as ANSI reserved names does not deal with this problem!)

John Bowler (jbowler@acorn.co.uk)