[comp.windows.x] HP allows X under DOS

QQ11@liverpool.ac.UK (Alan Thew) (02/16/90)

Please  correct me  if I'm  wrong but  the cost  of HP's  AXDS/PC package
would almost pay for a very cheap UNIX system (about $5000 ).

What's  the point  of trying  to make  all the  old XTs/ATs  do something
useful when you have to spend this much?

Alan Thew
BITNET/EARN/NETNORTH: QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK
INTERNET:             QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK
UUCP:                 ....!mcvax!ukc!liv!qq11

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/16/90)

In article <9002152109.AA01604@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> QQ11@liverpool.ac.UK (Alan Thew) writes:
>Please  correct me  if I'm  wrong but  the cost  of HP's  AXDS/PC package
>would almost pay for a very cheap UNIX system (about $5000 ).
>
>What's  the point  of trying  to make  all the  old XTs/ATs  do something
>useful when you have to spend this much?

Yeah!  Especially when you can get much faster X-Terminals from NCD, DEC,
Tektronics, and others for anywhere from $2000 and up!

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (02/21/90)

> Please  correct me  if I'm  wrong but  the cost  of HP's  AXDS/PC package
> would almost pay for a very cheap UNIX system (about $5000 ).
>
> What's  the point  of trying  to make  all the  old XTs/ATs  do something
> useful when you have to spend this much?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but keep in mind that the AXDS/PC is color.
You'd be hard pressed to find a *color* workstation for around $5k.

			-- Chan