[comp.windows.x] X11 R4 in Ultrix 2.3 Qvss?

carey@CAMACS.SPH.JHU.EDU (v c) (02/21/90)

My basic problem is running X11 R4 on Vaxstation 2000 running
Ultrix 2.3.  I can find no indication that this is impossible,
but when I start the server I get Fatal server bug -- no screens
found.  I cannot upgrade the operating system because Ultrix versions
 > 2.3 won't configure for a 4MB machine (to my knowledge.)

Our objectives are rather humble -- we would like to use xtex, xdir,
and an X driver for the S statistical package.  We are forbidden
from these since we are locked in to X10.

Any suggestions or contacts you might have on getting R4 up in
this environment (qvss, ultrix 2.3, 4MB core) would be greatly
appreciated.  I have posted to xbugs but have heard nothing from
them.

carey@camacs.sph.jhu.edu    vjcarey@jhuhyg.bitnet

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (02/22/90)

In article <9002210720.AA00397@camacs.sph.jhu.edu.>,
carey@CAMACS.SPH.JHU.EDU (v c) writes:

> My basic problem is running X11 R4 on Vaxstation 2000 running
> Ultrix 2.3.  I can find no indication that this is impossible,
> but when I start the server I get Fatal server bug -- no screens
> found.  I cannot upgrade the operating system because Ultrix versions
> 2.3 won't configure for a 4MB machine (to my knowledge.)

That is not true.  We used to run 2.3 and 3.0 on a 4 meg machine.

You need to have the devices in /dev as follows:

for a MONOCHROME vs2000 (Xqvss):

crw-rw-rw-  1 root       0,   1 May  4  1989 mouse
cr--r--r--  2 root       0,   2 May  4  1989 smscreen

for a color vs2000 (Xqdss):

crw-rw-rw-  1 root       0,   1 May 11  1989 sg0
cr--r--r--  2 root       0,   2 May 11  1989 sgscreen

You can make them (in superuser mode) by:

(MONOCHROME)
mknod /dev/mouse c 0 1
mknod /dev/smscreen c 0 2

(COLOR)
mknod /dev/sg0 c 0 1
mknod /dev/sgscreen c 0 2

I believe that will make it work.

Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.