[comp.windows.x] Command widgets and ancestorSensitive

tom@capella.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) (02/22/90)

I have a Box widget that contains a number of Command widgets, and I
want to be able to change their sensitivity.  Ideally, I would like to
be able to do this by just changing the sensitivity of the Box widget
that is their parent.  This doesn't seem to work, however.

If I set the sensitivity explicity when I create the Box widget, the
Command widgets have the specified sensitivity.  If, on the other hand,
I set the sensitivity of the Box with XtVaSetValues, it doesn't seem to
change the sensitivity of the children.

I have managed to do what I want by doing a XtVaGetValues on the Box
widget to get a list of the children, and then setting sensitivity on
each one individually, but I would rather just change it on the Box
widget.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I misunderstand something, or is this
a bug?

--
It does not do to leave a dragon | Tom Weinstein  ...ucbvax!hub!ucsbuxa!6600tom
out of your calculations, if you | 6600tom@ucsbuxa.bitnet  tom@bears.ucsb.edu

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (02/22/90)

In article <4027@hub.UUCP> tom@bears.ucsb.edu writes:
>I have a Box widget that contains a number of Command widgets, and I
>want to be able to change their sensitivity.  Ideally, I would like to
>be able to do this by just changing the sensitivity of the Box widget
>that is their parent.  This doesn't seem to work, however.
>
>If I set the sensitivity explicity when I create the Box widget, the
>Command widgets have the specified sensitivity.  If, on the other hand,
>I set the sensitivity of the Box with XtVaSetValues, it doesn't seem to
>change the sensitivity of the children.
>
>Am I doing something wrong, or do I misunderstand something, or is this
>a bug?

You're doing something wrong.  There are two ways to change sensitivity:

- When you create the widget by using the XtNsensitive resource.
- Later on, by using XtSetSensitive.

XtSetSensitive has the logic in it for setting the children of the
specified widget insensitive.

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente