[comp.windows.x] Running FRAME X11.R3 under X11.R4

drich@klaatu.lanl.gov (David Rich) (02/12/90)

In article <1990Feb11.184104.5253@aurora.com>
 geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) writes:

   A note for FRAME X users, FRAME tech support just helped me to get
   FRAME 1.3x running under X11.R4.

   - Geof
   geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com

Are you talking Frame as in FrameMaker? Does this mean that Frame
Technology produces a product that runs under X11? What's the news
regarding Frame 2.0? Any and all information appreciated!

Thanks!
David Rich            | Military Systems Analysis Group (A-5)
Email: dor@lanl.gov   | Los Alamos National Laboratory
Phone: (505) 665-0726 | Los Alamos, NM 87545

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) (02/12/90)

	FrameMaker 1.3 is available in a package that runs under X11R3
(and, from the reports, under R4, too).  As of the time that 2.0 came
out, Frame was telling us that it only ran on Sun iron, and that they
would be coming out with an X version in the spring.

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 694-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

horen@cadence.com (Jonathan Horen) (02/14/90)

In article <4870@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) writes:

>	FrameMaker 1.3 is available in a package that runs under X11R3
>(and, from the reports, under R4, too).  As of the time that 2.0 came
>out, Frame was telling us that it only ran on Sun iron, and that they
>would be coming out with an X version in the spring.

But it is not such a "well-behaved" client. For example, we are running it
with the X11.R3/XNeWS server and Motif window manager, and almost *any* kind
of customization of menu/client resources causes FrameMaker1.3X's dialog
boxes, file scroller/print/etc. menus to appear in reverse video. Moreover,
the black bar that highlights choices is not transparent, i.e., it totally
covers up choices.

When I called their Tech Support people (heck, they're *only* 2 miles from
here) and asked for a list of FrameMaker1.3X's configurable resources, they
said "Huh?".

Sure, you can also run FrameMaker1.3X under straight X11.R3, but then it's
slow as molasses in January, taking seconds to scroll the text down a page,
or move from one page to another.

In either case, I challenge someone to get right/left quotes out of
FrameMaker1.3X! Go ahead, try pressing Meta-<`> (left quote) or Meta-<'>
(right quote) and see what ya get!

FrameMaker1.3X is a kludge, an embarrassment. I'm just glad that it's this
company's money, and not mine.

 +------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
 | _J_o_n_a_t_h_a_n_ _B_._ _H_o_r_e_n_ _ _ _ _  | |  .           |       Lilmod Al Manat Laasot    |
 | _C_a_d_e_n_c_e_ _D_e_s_i_g_n_ _S_y_s_t_e_m_s | |__ (/\   \  / |__     Lilmod Al Manat Lelamed   |
 |                        |  _/ / _\  _\/   _/     Lilmod Al Manat Lichtov   |
 | _h_o_r_e_n_@_c_a_d_e_n_c_e_._c_o_m      |            -:   -                                |
 +------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

jae@c-art.UUCP (Yukon Born) (02/14/90)

In article <DRICH.90Feb11134354@klaatu.lanl.gov> drich@klaatu.lanl.gov (David Rich) writes:
|In article <1990Feb11.184104.5253@aurora.com>
| geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) writes:
|
|   A note for FRAME X users, FRAME tech support just helped me to get
|   FRAME 1.3x running under X11.R4.
|
|   - Geof
|   geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com
|
|Are you talking Frame as in FrameMaker? Does this mean that Frame
|Technology produces a product that runs under X11? What's the news
|regarding Frame 2.0? Any and all information appreciated!

Yes, this is FrameMaker.

FrameMaker1.3X runs under X11, and Frame's newest product,
FrameMaker2.0X will be demonstrated at Seybold Seminars Ninety,
March 5 - 8 at the Boston Marriott Copley Place on HP platforms.

-john

John Eadie   _Computing Art Inc_ (416) 536-9951  FAX (416) 530 0714
Studio #303, 25 Liberty St, Toronto .. jeadie@Sun.COM | jae@c-art.UUCP

`these deepest problems are in fact *not* problems at all.' - Wittgenstein

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (02/17/90)

Hey, I use Framemaker 1.3X all the time.  Sure, I can't change
very many resources - it's not widget based after all.  And
true, I've got to run the server in bug compatability mode.

I find that it is a VERY useful tool.  It could be better,
but so could every piece of software I've ever seen.

Yes, I've had it crash when editing a half dozen files.  Yes, the
keyboard macros could be better.

I run it all the time under X11R4 with Motif window manager, and
I have seen NONE of the weird problems that the fellow at Cadence
saw.  Maybe the problem is with X11/NeWS (aka WeirdWindows).

dan@scooter.rosemount.com (Dan Messinger) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb13.162054.3746@cadence.com> horen@cadence.com (Jonathan Horen) >write:But it is not such a "well-behaved" client. For example, we are running it
>with the X11.R3/XNeWS server and Motif window manager, and almost *any* kind
>of customization of menu/client resources causes FrameMaker1.3X's dialog
>boxes, file scroller/print/etc. menus to appear in reverse video. Moreover,
>the black bar that highlights choices is not transparent, i.e., it totally
>covers up choices.

I had some problems with that.  But after changing some options on XView,
the problem went away.  Can't remember what it was.  I've since switched to
X11r4.

>In either case, I challenge someone to get right/left quotes out of
>FrameMaker1.3X! Go ahead, try pressing Meta-<`> (left quote) or Meta-<'>
>(right quote) and see what ya get!

Works fine for me.

dan@ernie.rosemount.com