[comp.windows.x] Help - X toolkit manuals, &c

bretth@pawl.rpi.edu (Brett M Hogden) (02/13/90)

Hello,
  I'm going to be working on a project shortly involving graphic
  representation of protein gels.  Our research group has decided to
  attempt to base the programme in X, and we are looking for any good
  manuals on basic X toolkit routines, as well as any tools that can
  help to create such a monster.  It's basically going to be a programme
  that can display a raster [the digitized image of the gel] and allow
  some simple editing and/or display format changes.

  Also, if there are any programmes of this sort already out there,
  we're interested in at least seeing how they operate.

  Any help will be appreciated!  Please e-mail to bretth@pawl.rpi.edu
  [or any of the other addresses mentioned below]

Thanks,
Brett
--
                * Brett M Hogden   bretth%mts@rpitsgw.rpi.edu *
                * bretth@pawl.rpi.edu  bretth@rpitsmts.bitnet *

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (02/23/90)

In article <4'90=&@rpi.edu>, bretth@pawl.rpi.edu (Brett M Hogden) writes:
>   I'm going to be working on a project shortly involving graphic
>   representation of protein gels.  Our research group has decided to
>   attempt to base the programme in X, and we are looking for any good
>   manuals on basic X toolkit routines, as well as any tools that can
>   help to create such a monster.
>
>   Also, if there are any programmes of this sort already out there,
>   we're interested in at least seeing how they operate.

Info on this would be worth posting periodically; lots of others would
be interested.  Take myself...

This morning while reading the O'Reilly (Adrian Nye) manual, I noticed
the mention of a diskette of sample programs.  Being interested in not
wasting as much time typing, I thought I might invest a few bucks in
them, so I called their 800 number.  I was a bit disappointed at being
told that the sample diskette is no longer for sale.

Does anyone know if it's still available somewhere?  The book seems to
be quite well written; are the samples also?  If they aren't for sale,
are they perhaps available for emailing?  (Hint, hint...)

As seems to be true of so many commercial products, this Esix system
came with lots of object programs but very little source.  (After all,
why would the typical dumb user want to bother his/her pretty little
head with such things? ;-)

--
John Chambers ...!{harvard,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!jc

[Sorry, no clever saying today.]

tim@ora.ora.com (Tim O'Reilly) (02/23/90)

> In article <4'90=&@rpi.edu>, bretth@pawl.rpi.edu (Brett M Hogden) writes:
> >   attempt to base the programme in X, and we are looking for any good
> >   manuals on basic X toolkit routines, as well as any tools that can
> >   help to create such a monster.

Our books on the X Toolkit are now available.  Like our Xlib
books, it is a two volume set, with a programming manual and
reference manual.  They can be found
in most technical bookstores, or by calling our number below.
There is also a book from Prentice Hall, by Doug Young.

> This morning while reading the O'Reilly (Adrian Nye) manual, I noticed
> the mention of a diskette of sample programs.  Being interested in not
> wasting as much time typing, I thought I might invest a few bucks in
> them, so I called their 800 number.  I was a bit disappointed at being
> told that the sample diskette is no longer for sale.
> Does anyone know if it's still available somewhere?  The book seems to
> be quite well written; are the samples also?  If they aren't for sale,
> are they perhaps available for emailing?  (Hint, hint...)

The reason we're no longer selling the sample diskette is that
the programs are available both from uunet, and in the X11
contrib distribution (both R2 and R3).  Instructions on getting
the programs from uunet are in the preface to the book.  I don't
recall exactly where they are in the contrib tree, but they
shouldn't be too hard to find.

Our Xt book sample programs are also in the contrib tree and at
uunet.
--
Tim O'Reilly @ O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.  Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
632 Petaluma Avenue, Sebastopol, CA 95472