[comp.windows.x] R3 -> R4 - pitfalls for applications built under R3 on Suns ??

eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) (02/17/90)

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to R4 from R3.  However, I've many applications
built/installed under R3 (e.g. GNU Emacs 18.55, xdvi, Saber-C, ...etc..) and I
really don't want to touch them otherwise I'll need to rebuild/reinstall a
*lot* of stuff.

Can anyone give me any advise on this (like things to avoid/workarounds) ?

(Maybe I should wait a little more till more bugs are discovered ?).

Thanks very much.
--

Eric Ho
Princeton University

eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) (02/17/90)

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to R4 from R3.  However, I've many applications
built/installed under R3 (e.g. GNU Emacs 18.55, xdvi, Saber-C, ...etc..) and I
really don't want to touch them otherwise I'll need to rebuild/reinstall a
*lot* of stuff.

Can anyone give me any advise on this (like things to avoid/workarounds) ?

I've Sun-3's and Sun-4 (all running SunOS 4.0.1)on my desk and I've gcc-1.35,
and Emacs 18.55.

(Maybe I should wait a little more till more bugs are discovered ?).

Thanks very much.
--

Eric Ho
Princeton University
eho@clarity.princeton.edu

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (02/19/90)

To: eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU
Subject: Re: R3 -> R4 - pitfalls for applications built under R3 on Suns ??
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Bcc:

In article <EHO.90Feb16181111@word.Princeton.EDU> you write:
>Can anyone give me any advise on this (like things to avoid/workarounds) ?
Of the programs I have tested all the R3 stuff works on a R4 server, some
of it requires that you do a "xset bc" ("Backwords Compatabilty"/"Bug Compat.").
I have not tested too many comerical programs and I have not tested too many
things that I have a R4 version (like xdvi, I use the xditview supplyed w/ R4).

I have also just recompiled alot of R3 stuff under R4 (to take advantage of
shared libs & MIT-COOKIE-1), most of it compiles w/o change, or with just a
"#define XAW_BC" and a few changes to the #include lines...

>I've Sun-3's and Sun-4 (all running SunOS 4.0.1)on my desk and I've gcc-1.35,
>and Emacs 18.55.
Use gcc on the sun 3's, but cc on the 4's, be careful to read the stuff in the
dox about shared libs.

>(Maybe I should wait a little more till more bugs are discovered ?).
If you want, but the whole thing seems less buggie then R3.
--
           stripes@wam.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (02/20/90)

    However, I've many applications
    built/installed under R3 (e.g. GNU Emacs 18.55, xdvi, Saber-C, ...etc..) and
    I really don't want to touch them otherwise I'll need to rebuild/reinstall a
    *lot* of stuff.

You should certainly keep your R3 binaries around for a while, they should
work fine against an R4 server (although for some you may have to enable
"bug compatibility" mode in the server).  The R3->R4 transition is not an
"all or nothing" situation, you can move gradually.

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (02/20/90)

In article <9002192121.AA01803@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>You should certainly keep your R3 binaries around for a while, they should
>work fine against an R4 server (although for some you may have to enable
>"bug compatibility" mode in the server).  The R3->R4 transition is not an
>"all or nothing" situation, you can move gradually.

Yes, the R3 clients do seem to work nicely with the R4 server, but I want
to use MIT-COOKIE-1, not xhost.  No can do with R3 clients. (that's why I
switched from dxmail to xmh...)  Besides we don't have unlimited space
and the R4 clients compiled with shared libs are tiny vs. the R3 clients...

Face up to it, you did too good of a job on R4, I want to get all the R3
stuff takeing advantage of all that work...
--

Uuunet@vicorp.uu.net (UUNET) (02/24/90)