[net.news.group] Possible group: net.fur

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (08/28/85)

> create a group called net.fur . . .
> 20 people were fur fetishists and thought it
> was a great group . . .
> --Lauren--

It appears that Lauren Whinebrucespringsteen (I can't remember the
last name letter for letter since it's always just "--Lauren--" :-})
has proposed a new newsgroup.  In fact, he/she/AI-project has already
done the required poll and found 20 people who support the idea.
That's got to be some kind of net.record!  Only two people wanted
net.news.group when it was started, and they were divided over whether
or not it should be plural.  Everyone else wanted to debate new groups
in already established, totally unrelated news groups.  And that was
one of the most popular of all time.

I understand Lauren's fetish completely (how many times have we all said,
"somebody I know wants this" when we wanted something ourselves?) and I
support the idea of net.fur.  But I think we should plan ahead and prepare
for other fetish newsgroups.  It just wouldn't be right to allow net.fur
its own place of honor as a group and then not even allow subgroups for
all the other fetishes, like overhead cams and spiral notebooks.  In fact,
I think there ought to be net.fetish with subgroups to accommodate all the
fetishists on the net.  Since most of us are hackers, this shouldn't go
much further than net.fetish.coke (oh, yes, we'll have to have classic, new,
and diet sub-subgroups) and net.fetish.twinkies.  And we'll have to include
my personal favorite, net.fetish.patiofurniture.  (By the way, Lauren, I
just took a poll and got 2342397691365 votes for the group and 2 against.
Honest!  I wouldn't lie to you.)

So let's go ahead and create net.fetish and see where it takes us.  All in
favor, hang up your modems.  CLICK!

Since it's the end of August and there are lots of Freshpersons new to the
net who can't tell serious articles from humor, I am confirming for you all
that this article is indeed genuine seriousness, not humor.  You didn't laugh
at it, did you?
--
"It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain what
 fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess!"

djw@lanl.ARPA (08/30/85)

In article <508@riccb.UUCP> rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) writes:

>So let's go ahead and create net.fetish and see where it takes us.

I voted for net.fetish.fur but I have reconsidered.  I think that fur is a
very private thing and should be hidden behind an anonymous sounding
accronym, ( such as motss ).  We don't want anyone to be offended by
seeing the phrase "teddy bear" now do we?  I believe that SWMTB would
be appropriate, ( swinging with my teddy bear ).

Also; I have been overlooking this net.religion crap long enough.  If
you can have a
Net.religion
Net.religion.christian
Net.religion.jewish
Net.women
Net.women.only ( see MOTSS above )
and a mailing list for Wiccan and Buddist and Muslem ( the major faiths
	that no one will admit to being members of - too plebian )

Then Damnit it's time you had a newsgroup for my religion...

Net.Religion.First-Church-of-Immediate-Gratification

I know there are many practitioners out there hiding behind quaint little
names;  Come on out of the closets FCIGers, Announce your needs!  We
no longer need to hide in our "Yellow Submarine"s...

Let's hear it for The First Church of Immediate Gratification
			where there are no sermons
				      only hermons

By the way...  The headquarters for The Orthodox Druids is out in
California, ( I believe San Diego, but ask a witch ).  If you were
serious, I'll get it for you.

Dave Wade

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (08/30/85)

You know, people like Roger sometimes make ya' wonder why
we hassle with this stuff at all.  We're trying to have a
fairly serious discussion here, Roger.  If you want to joke
around, feel free to do so in the appropriate groups.  This
isn't one of them.

Net.fur was about the silliest possible example I could think of for a
useless group.  My point was that even a silly group like that would
attract someone.  Apparently I accidently hit one of Roger's
favorite topics.

--Lauren--