[comp.windows.x] Maps

rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) (02/21/90)

I posted this question on comp.graphics as well as comp.windows.x
and received very little response.  I'm not one to give up, so
I'll try one more time!

We're doing a project and have a dire need for maps.  The ideal
would be a database of maps of the world that go down to countries
states/counties (all the way down to streets is uneccesary).  Maps
with semantic information (ie longs/lats) would be ideal, but
since we have nothing yet, simple bitmaps would get us started.

Formats are flexible; we're developing in X, but anything can be converted.
If it's a database that we drive line drawings from or actual
bits, that's OK.

If there's a product or company out there that someone
can point me to, we'll pay if they (you) have what we're looking for.

If there's some simple public domain bitmaps that can get us started
that would be great, too.

Basically, if you have ANY information on computer displayable
maps, please let me know!

If you have any pointers please send mail (rose@tci.bell-atl.com)
or call (508)443-7311 x378.

Thanks very much!

Bob Rose
Technology Concepts, Inc. (A Bell Atlantic Co.)

ps I'll post a summary if I get some good replies!

sue@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Sue Borchardt) (02/23/90)

In article <705@tci.bell-atl.com> rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) writes:

>If there's a product or company out there that someone
>can point me to, we'll pay if they (you) have what we're looking for.
>
>Basically, if you have ANY information on computer displayable
>maps, please let me know!
>
>Bob Rose
>Technology Concepts, Inc. (A Bell Atlantic Co.)
>
>ps I'll post a summary if I get some good replies!

A couple of places you might try to get map data

	Defense Mapping Agency
		they have world data banks I and II
		but might refer you to NTIS
		( National Technical Information Service?)
	DeLORME map company
		I saw their demo at uniforum 89. It ran
		under X11R3. I couldn't find their glossy
		with an address.

	I have the WDB stuff displayed under X11R4 using
	projection and display libraries I wrote (in part)
	but I'm not sure if they'd let me give them away.o

	Sorry about responding to the group but your address
	bounced.
	Contact me at 301-792-6814 if I can be any more help.
	or try sue@aplpy.jhuapl.edu

seth@ZURICH.AI.MIT.EDU (Seth Goldstein) (02/26/90)

In article <705@tci.bell-atl.com> rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) writes:

>If there's a product or company out there that someone
>can point me to, we'll pay if they (you) have what we're looking for.
>
>Basically, if you have ANY information on computer displayable
>maps, please let me know!
>
>Bob Rose
>Technology Concepts, Inc. (A Bell Atlantic Co.)
>
>ps I'll post a summary if I get some good replies!

Direct mail bounced, so here for all to see,

I just saw an ad for DeLorme Mapping:

Some 50,000 USGS togographic maps are in the process of being
digitally stored in a high-resolution, full-color format by DeLorme
Mapping.  The maps are being scanned at approximately 200 dpi and
converted to WGS84 coordinates [I'm not sure what that means.  I've
heard a guess that it's World Geodetic Standard].  The USGS 7.5-minute
and 15-minute series will be available to businesses and the
government on CD ROM or floppy disks in a highly compressed raster
format.
DeLorme Mapping, Freeport, ME. (207)-865-4171

Seth Goldstein
ConSolve, Inc.