From hplabs!tektronix!uw-beaver!cornell!vax135!houxm!ihnp4!cbosgd!mark Fri Oct  5 12:05:01 1984
From: mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton)
Newsgroups: net.news.b,net.unix,net.jokes
Subject: Re: grepping for "Subject" in /usr/spool/news
Date: 5 Oct 84 19:05:01 GMT

In article <elsie.4003> ado@elsie.UUCP writes:
>The second point is what prompts this posting.  Folks may recall articles
>that went around a while back asking why "grep" wasn't smart enough to use
>the "fast fgrep" algorithm when appropriate.  The above results show that
>grep may be smarter than was thought.

It's well known in the UNIX circles that egrep is the fastest grep,
then grep, then fgrep.  This i

--
From the Department of Bistromatics:            Chuq Von Rospach
{amd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui    nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

How about 'reason for living?'

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (10/12/84)

An update on this message-- it seems to have been whole as far as
uw-beaver, so the culprit seems to be hplabs or tektronix. hplabs is
our feed and I'm pretty sure they have the fix in or we'd be seeing more
oof these monsters. Can someone at tektronix check this out?

--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

How about 'reason for living?'

gordon@uw-june (Gordon Davisson) (10/16/84)

>This is another truncated article that popped up yesterday. admins upstream
>on this path, please check to see whether or not it was truncated on your
>site so we can pin it down.
>
>chuq
>---
[truncated article omitted]

The same article got here intact, over the path uw-june!uw-beaver!cornell!
vax135!houxm!ihnp4!cbosgd!mark. Looks like the problem's at tektronix, hplabs,
or nsc. Have any of those machines been running low on disk space recently?

Human:    Gordon Davisson
USnail:   5008 12th NE, Seattle, WA, 98105
UUCP:     {ihnp4,decvax,tektronix}!uw-beaver!uw-june!gordon