[comp.windows.x] Solbourne GUI

ph@concurrent.co.uk (Paul Hamilton) (02/23/90)

In a recent magazine article, it said that "AT&T Co has signed with Sparc-
compatible workstation manufacturer, Solbourne  Computer Inc, for distribution
of Solbourne's graphical user interface development system, the Object
Interface Library. This agreement includes Solbourne's X Window System based
window manager. Current development versions of the Library support
both Open Loop and OSF/Motif. Computer vendors and software houses can get
the source code from AT&T's Unix Software Operation, who can then pass on
binary versions for any system supporting X Window System" [PC Week Feb 6 1990]
Two questions:

1)  Does anyone have any info concerning the Object Interface Library?

2)  Where is AT&T's Unix Software Operation?

Thanks...

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (02/25/90)

In article <981@sl10c.concurrent.co.uk> ph@concurrent.co.uk (Paul Hamilton,CSDD) writes:

>In a recent magazine article, it said that "AT&T Co has signed with Sparc-
>compatible workstation manufacturer, Solbourne  Computer Inc, for distribution
>of Solbourne's graphical user interface development system, the Object
>Interface Library. This agreement includes Solbourne's X Window System based
>window manager. Current development versions of the Library support
>both Open Loop and OSF/Motif. Computer vendors and software houses can get

	I expect Solbourne folks to respond, but let me express an
	independent (may be not fully qualified) opinion.

	1) Supports both Open Look and Motif. Well .... I would say
	   supports Open Look, which may be forced to LOOK LIKE Motif.
	   In some areas (scrollbars for example), they could and did
	   superb job and allow for a true switch. Some areas, however,
	   such as Motif keyboard traversal, aren't there (and will be
	   tough to impement, considering how tricky the current Motif
	   implementation is). Some areas are no-way. For example, the
	   basic window layout is different between Open Look and Motif,
	   file selection boxes, message boxes are different (there's
	   even a different approach to it). There is just a very
	   definite limit of what you can do with a single toolkit.

        2) OI does not (and can not) use X resource database. Neither
           it has anything like UIL (I am NOT a UIL pusher). Thus any
	   customizing must be provided for by the application code.
	   I consider this a step back.

        3) OI is C++ only. May be an advantage - but I would like to
	   see more native implementations of C++ with DEBUG support
	   first.

--
=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM

garya@garya.Solbourne.COM (Gary Aitken) (02/26/90)

> I would say supports Open Look, which may be forced to LOOK LIKE Motif

Unfortunately, you are basing your judgement on a demo you saw which had
roughly one man month invested in it, concentrating only on the look
aspect.  The Motif implementation, when completed, will support both look
and feel.  As you observed, the scrollbars already do this.  I would differ
with you on your opinion of the difficulty of implementing keyboard
traversal.  I guess the proof will be in the pudding, but we have more than
one person here who would be willing to place some money on it.

> ...the basic window layout is different between Open Look and Motif

This is a real problem.  From our investigations so far, the primary
difficulty is that the Motif style guide for applications appears to be
much more restrictive than OPENLOOK.  There are certain classes of
applications which cannot be written to conform to the Motif application
style guide without a very awkward interface.  For example, Motif specifies
that you use a menu bar, which may only have pulldown menus on it, and no
stand alone buttons, across the top of the main window.  What if the
application has basically a single button in its top level window (This is
not a contrived example; it comes from a real application)?  To
conform to the style guide, you are forced to make a pulldown menu with a
single entry in it.

> file selection boxes, message boxes are different

This is not such a difficult problem, solvable by the toolkit in a manner
transparent to the application.  I'm guessing you are thinking of an interface
at too low a level, where you are only mapping elementary objects from one
interface to the other, rather than treating "file selection" as an
object unto itself.

> OI does not (and can not) use X resource database.

Wrong.  OI can, and does, use the X resource database.  The current
implementation does not use the resource database for complete specifications
for all objects the way Xt does, however.  The reason it doesn't is
that the toolkit allows dynamic reparenting, which poses some problems
regarding resolving resource names.  We are working on solutions to that
problem and hope to have something in place by summer.
Existing applications get all sorts of things from the resource database.
The window manager gets its total configuration from resources.  The
debugger, mail and news readers, and other tools all get information
from the resource database.

> Neither it has anything like UIL. Thus any customizing must be provided
> for by the application code.

Wrong again.  It is a one line call to generate a complete object tree,
complete with hooks to callback routines.  We have shipped at least one
client program for months now which has no application code describing
any of its objects except those which it needs to create dynamically due
to changing conditions.  The client can easily be configured with a
prototyper, and was built that way.

> OI is C++ only.

Yes.  All I can say is that anyone who would choose C over C++ after
having used it has no concept of what object oriented programming really
is, or the benefits to be gained.  Yes, you can do object oriented
programming in C.  Unfortunately, C technology does not give you
all the benefits.  You cannot enforce data hiding.  You cannot enforce
strict type checking.  Even with the best of intentions, people will
make mistakes, and you will waste a lot of valuable engineering time chasing
down those bugs.

We chose not to implement a C interface (it is possible) deliberately, to
encourage our users to move to C++.  We have encountered no problems with
this that I am aware of.  Our os people, dedicated died in the wool C
programmers, have managed to use C++ and OI with little effort.  Same
goes for graphics people, test people.

Having said all that, there is one reason I can think of to use C -- if
you are trying to write code to ship to the least common denominator
system, and you don't want to have to worry about C++ capabilities being
present or not.  But then, as someone said at the X conference: "If you
have a system which only supports 14 character file names, we consider
it broken, and the solution to that is to get a system which is not broken."
Maybe we should all code in FORTRAN or COBOL?  The same arguments were
used frequently years ago when C started gaining acceptance.

> I would like to see more native implementations of C++ with DEBUG support
> first.

Me too.  Although the tools available to us for C++ debugging are as good
as those for C, and are better than most.  We have full interactive debuggers
which understand C++ classes and demangle the member names.
--
Gary Aitken

Solbourne Computer Inc.    ARPA: garya@Solbourne.COM
Longmont, CO               UUCP: !{boulder,sun}!stan!garya

vp01@bunny.gte.com (Vincent Phuah) (02/26/90)

You can call AT&T at this toll free number:  1-800-828-UNIX
It is the AT&T Unix Software Licensing number.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
*    Vincent Phuah                                                *
*    Software Technologies Dept.                                  *
*    GTE Laboratories                       Email: vphuah@gte.com *
*    40 Sylvan Road                         Tel:   (617) 466-4130 *
*    Waltham, MA 02254                                            *
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb25.190607.13952@Solbourne.COM> garya@garya.Solbourne.COM (Gary Aitken) writes:

 .... the text deleted ....

	Thanx, Gary - I am glad I'v prompted you to provide very thorough
	explanation of some OI features. I hope you don't take my less
	knowledgable comments as an insult.

	Just two minor comments:

	1) I was referring to the CURRENT state of OI. I did NOT try to
	   say that this and that is impossible. I was responding
	   to a request for toolkits available TODAY. And as you admit,
	   there is still a lot to do in OI.

	2) My comment about C++. I was NOT talking about C versus C++.
	   (no discussion there, besides C++ availablity ...).
	   There are many folks who want to use the user interface from
	   ADA or (yes, archaic but still widely used) FORTRAN.
           And again, I am not saying that it is impossible to interface
	   to C++ from ADA or FORTRAN - it's just not quite easy.

--