[comp.windows.x] X11R4 on DECstation

jgb@ektools.UUCP (Blose) (02/26/90)

I read in a recent posting that Version 4 is available on the DECstation
3100.  I believe this is the workstation with the MIPS R3000 processor.
If this is the case, how is it that Version 4 is available on DEC's
equipment while it remains unavailable on MIPS workstations?  (we have a
MIPS RC2030 with X11V3 - not even V3.1!).

We are told that Version 4 will not be available for at least another
half year.  What gives?

Joanne Greene-Blose
kodak!ektools!jgb

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (02/27/90)

In article <2467@ektools.UUCP>, jgb@ektools (Blose) writes:
>I read in a recent posting that Version 4 is available on the DECstation
>3100.  I believe this is the workstation with the MIPS R3000 processor.
>If this is the case, how is it that Version 4 is available on DEC's
>equipment while it remains unavailable on MIPS workstations?  (we have a
>MIPS RC2030 with X11V3 - not even V3.1!).

DEC (as part of the X consortium?) helped the people at MIT who were
developing a server for the DECstation.  This resulted in having a
high quality X11R4 server (src!) for the DECstation available at part
of the X11R4 release.  MIPS did not do this.  This was a major factor
in our decision to buy DECstations, even though our main departmental
machine is a MIPS M-2000.  We have a 2030, and like it a lot, but
liked the advantage of being able to work with the MIT X distribution.

>We are told that Version 4 will not be available for at least another
>half year.  What gives?

I don't think that MIPS is a member of the X consortium (someone want
to correct me?).  If that is so, they couldn't get a look at the R4
stuff until it was released, as opposed to the alpha and beta releases
that consortium members get access to.

g.

George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (02/27/90)

In article <2467@ektools.UUCP> jgb@ektools.UUCP (Blose) writes:
>I read in a recent posting that Version 4 is available on the DECstation
>3100.  I believe this is the workstation with the MIPS R3000 processor.
>If this is the case, how is it that Version 4 is available on DEC's
>equipment while it remains unavailable on MIPS workstations?  (we have a
>MIPS RC2030 with X11V3 - not even V3.1!).
>
>We are told that Version 4 will not be available for at least another
>half year.  What gives?
>
>Joanne Greene-Blose
>kodak!ektools!jgb

(1) DEC was the first and is the most vigorous industrial supporter of
X-Windows.  They try to release a good server simultaneously with each
release of X.
(2) The CPU is less important that type of graphics terminal and primitive
graphics software in designing a new server.  MIP's graphics terminal may
or may not be substantially different from DEC's event though they use the
same CPU.
(3) Generic server source is supplied with X-Windows.  If the MIP's graphics
terminal resembles something already out there you might be able to adapt it.

In article <17420@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, hartzell@boulder (George Hartzell) writes:
>[...]
>I don't think that MIPS is a member of the X consortium (someone want
>to correct me?).  [...]

I've been corrected, they are members of the consortium.