[comp.windows.x] xlock and colors

razdan@chanakya.oakhill.uucp (Anshuman Razdan) (02/24/90)

I am running X11R4 on sun 3/470.  I have come to notice
a peculiar thing and I would like to have input on this.

Well, When I run xlock (particularly qix) it runs fine
and since I did not not know how the patterns should look like,
I had no idea what it was supposed to do.  It was drawing the patterns
but would draw only limited portion of the patterns.  Seems like it could not
find all the colors it wanted to use.

Now if I run xcolors (progrram in contrib dir) before I run xlock - wow
suddenly I have this beautiful pattern on the screen with hell of a lot of colors.

I looked into the code of xcolors and cannot find any thing in particular that would initiate
this behaviour (unless it is XtConvert in the do-color routine).

For those of you who cannot understaand what I am talking about, give it a try and see if
you notice any change.

Anshuman Razdan

oakhill!chanakya!razdan@cs.utexas.edu

hoenig@genesis.informatik.uni-kl.de (Helmut Hoenig) (02/26/90)

razdan@chanakya.oakhill.uucp (Anshuman Razdan) writes:

>Well, When I run xlock (particularly qix) it runs fine
>and since I did not not know how the patterns should look like,
>I had no idea what it was supposed to do.  It was drawing the patterns
>but would draw only limited portion of the patterns.  Seems like it could not
>find all the colors it wanted to use.

>Now if I run xcolors (progrram in contrib dir) before I run xlock - wow
>suddenly I have this beautiful pattern on the screen with hell of a lot of colors.

>I looked into the code of xcolors and cannot find any thing in particular that would initiate
>this behaviour (unless it is XtConvert in the do-color routine).

xlock seems to use the pixel-values without regarding the entries of
the colormap. Most of the entries are set to black, when x is started.
Use xshowcmap to see the color of all pixels. xcolors allocates a lot of
colors and the colormap is changed by that.

Helmut Hoenig.

liebman@xrxedds.UCP (02/27/90)

Note: WM=twm

I spent some time looking at this.  It seems that xlock tries to install it's own
colormap :^(. What is worse is that even if the lines to install/uninstall the colormap
are removed they are still not installed.

ICCCM Question:   Should window managers install colormaps for override-redirect
		  windows?

Chris Liebman
INTELNET:	8*440-2032
XNS:		liebman:Herndon:xerox