[comp.windows.x] Running Xsun in color

dhuff@AMD-20.HAC.COM (Daryl Huff) (02/22/90)

In message <9002201451.AA02246@expire.lcs.mit.edu> Bob Scheiffler writes:

>The cgtwo should be a color display, although you can force it to run in
>monochrome mode using the -mono switch to the server.  The cgfour runs
>in a "dual screen" mode; it has both a mono and a color screen, with only
>one "appearing" at a given time.  The R3 MIT server made the mono screen
>the default, the R4 MIT server makes the color screen the default (although
>you can give it the -mono switch to revert to the R3 behavior).

I have the cgfour device in my sun 3 but I can only get the monochrome
server to appear.  How do I get the color screen to "appear"?  Is it a
command line option?  A screen number other than 0?

                                       Daryl Huff
                                       Hughes Aircraft Co.

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (02/27/90)

In article <9002211844.AA02401@amd-20.> dhuff@AMD-20.HAC.COM(Daryl Huff) writes:
>I have the cgfour device in my sun 3 but I can only get the monochrome
>server to appear.  How do I get the color screen to "appear"?  Is it a
>command line option?  A screen number other than 0?

You probbly have the same problem we use to have  :-)

Suntools (apparently) opens /dev/fb and does everything with that.  X requires
the proper frame buffer device.  For example rohan's /dev has:
crw-rw-rw-  1 root      27,   1 Mar 10  1989 /dev/bwtwo1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root      39,   0 Mar 10  1989 /dev/cgfour0

The easyest way to make those devices is to su to root cd to /dev and
MAKEDEV the devices.  (harder was involve su and mknode, obscure bugs and
mknode, or the disk and a magnetic source...).
--
           stripes@wam.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"