[comp.windows.x] XView patch 2

hvr@eng.sun.COM (Heather Rose) (02/15/90)

XView patch2 fixes some problems with the build of XView shared libraries,
debugged libraries, profiled libraries, and lint libraries.  Also, has
better instructions in the README file, and the base Imakefile for the
World option.  Some minor changes were made to the library source to
compile on SunOS 3.5, and delete duplicate include files in some .c files.

The patch is in "patch" style format.  Instructions included in the
patch file itsself.  Please see README-2 file below for details.

To retrieve these patches from expo:

% ftp -i expo.lcs.mit.edu
  <login as anonymous>
ftp> cd pub/R4/contrib-fixes/XView
ftp> binary
ftp> mget RE* *.Z
  <files transfer>
ftp> quit

check sizes against those listed in README-2

Note:  if you have already applied patch1, you only need to apply patch2.

Please report problems to xviewbugs@sun.com.  If you would like to track
XView bugs, send a note to xviewbug-trackers-request@kimba.eng.sun.com or
..!sun!xviewbug-trackers-request.

I will be placing a tar file of the complete patched XView source on expo
later today.  This is XView from X11R4 with xview-1 and xview-2 applied.

Regards,

Heather Rose
XView Team Member

------------------------------------

These patches for the XView toolkit, the olwm window manager, and the
olgx support library should be applied to the clients found on the X11R4
tape from MIT.

XView lives in contrib/toolkits/XView
olwm lives in contrib/windowmgrs/olwm
olgx lives in contrib/lib/olgx

These patches should be applied within those directories, applying the
first patch before the second one.  For example, to apply both patches
to XView, do the following:

	cd contrib/toolkits/XView
	patch -p0 < xview-1
	patch -p0 < xview-2

Then check the top of the patch file for files to remove...save those files
to a new file called "oldfiles", then:

	cat oldfiles | xargs rm -f {}

If you want to remove the original files, you can do so with:

	find . -name "*.orig" -print | xargs rm -f {}

Following are some sizes and sums of the patch files.  Once you have
transferred these to your site, check the size and sum against these
values.

sizes of patches before compressing:
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr         35244 Feb 14 10:33 olgx-1
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr          5130 Feb 14 10:35 olgx-2
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr         13445 Feb 14 10:35 olwm-1
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr       1691139 Feb 14 10:36 xview-1
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr       1422168 Feb 14 10:32 xview-2

sums of patches before compressing:
03347    35 olgx-1
60561     6 olgx-2
27959    14 olwm-1
44731  1652 xview-1
06055  1389 xview-2

sizes of patches when compressed:
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr         16126 Feb 14 10:33 olgx-1.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr          2749 Feb 14 10:35 olgx-2.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr          6937 Feb 14 10:35 olwm-1.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr        463333 Feb 14 10:36 xview-1.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 hvr        262338 Feb 14 10:32 xview-2.Z

sums of patches when compressed:
15916    16 olgx-1.Z
49642     3 olgx-2.Z
33419     7 olwm-1.Z
27189   453 xview-1.Z
11186   257 xview-2.Z

stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (02/16/90)

In article <9002142102.AA10525@kimba.Eng.Sun.COM>, hvr@eng.sun.COM
(Heather Rose) writes:
> XView patch2 fixes some problems with the build of XView shared libraries,
> debugged libraries, profiled libraries, and lint libraries.  Also, has
> better instructions in the README file, and the base Imakefile for the
> World option.  Some minor changes were made to the library source to
> compile on SunOS 3.5, and delete duplicate include files in some .c files.

So far so good. One of the problems with SunOS3.5 is that the organization
of the pixrect header files seems to be slightly different from SunOS4.0.
Consequently, compiling XView fails because certain #define's and external's
are not #include'd (although they are there somewhere in
/usr/include/pixrect, just not in the files that were included, directly
or indirectly).

Of course one could install the pixrect headers from the
XView distribution, but that would not only waste space, it also leaves you
with two different version of essentially the same thing installed on your
system, which is confusing at best.

Any suggestions from the Sun (or other) people?

----
Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU
1957 Center St., Suite 600, Berkeley, CA 94704	(415) 642-4274 ext. 126

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (02/27/90)

In article <22141@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) writes:
>In article <9002142102.AA10525@kimba.Eng.Sun.COM>, hvr@eng.sun.COM
>(Heather Rose) writes:
>> XView patch2 fixes some problems with the build of XView shared libraries,
>> debugged libraries, profiled libraries, and lint libraries.  Also, has
>> better instructions in the README file, and the base Imakefile for the
>> World option.  Some minor changes were made to the library source to
>> compile on SunOS 3.5, and delete duplicate include files in some .c files.
>>

>So far so good. One of the problems with SunOS3.5 is that the organization
>of the pixrect header files seems to be slightly different from SunOS4.0.
>Consequently, compiling XView fails because certain #define's and external's
>are not #include'd (although they are there somewhere in
>/usr/include/pixrect, just not in the files that were included, directly
>or indirectly).
>
>Of course one could install the pixrect headers from the
>XView distribution, but that would not only waste space, it also leaves you
>with two different version of essentially the same thing installed on your
>system, which is confusing at best.
>
>Any suggestions from the Sun (or other) people?

I suggest adding a compile time flag such as -DXVIEW_PIXRECT, then the
source files would look like:

#ifdef XVIEW_PIXRECT
#include <xview/pixrect/foo.h>
#else
#include <pixrect/foo.h>
#endif

This does get around most of the problems...anyway, unless we can think of
a better solution, I'll do this for the next major release of the source due
out sometime this summer.  Or perhaps we need to re-order the files and add
a flag for each version of SunOS when order matters...

The header files for Pixrect have changed again for SunOS 4.1, so we need to
do something that will work for both 3.5 and 4.1 as well as 4.0.x...

Regards,

Heather