[comp.windows.x] X based rolodex and calendar programs

peters@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank W. Peters) (02/16/90)

Hello,

     We recen'tly acquired R4 and several local users have moved to it
from sunview.

     Two applications that our users miss which are available in
sunview form are a rolodex tool and a calendar/reminder service
program.

     To my amazement I have been unable to locate either of these
applications for X.

     Does anyone know if either of these applications is available on
the net somewhere?

Thanks
--Frank
--
Frank W. Peters        Systems Programmer     Computing Center & Services
peters@CC.MsState.Edu  Peters@MsState.Bitnet  (601)325-2942

ron@xwind.UUCP (Ronald P. Hughes) (02/20/90)

In article <PETERS.90Feb16102222@jester.CC.MsState.Edu> peters@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank W. Peters) writes:
>     Two applications that our users miss which are available in
>sunview form are a rolodex tool and a calendar/reminder service
>program.
>     To my amazement I have been unable to locate either of these
>applications for X.

There is a fabulous new multiuser time management tool called
Synchronize, available from CrossWind Technologies, Inc.  It's
sort of like an online Daytimer, allowing you to select particular
users & resources (such as conference room, slide projector, ...)
and see when you can schedule a meeting without conflicts.  Once
scheduled, the proposed meeting shows up on all invitees calendars,
from which they can accept or decline.  The program also includes
automatically-propogating to-do items, reminders, recurring events,
alarms, popup notes (such as meeting agendas), custom permissions,
etc., etc., etc.  It's in beta now.  For more information, contact
Chris Knudsen (chris@xwind.com) at 408-335-4988.

Ronald P. Hughes		ron@xwind.com (or ...!uunet!xwind!ron)

NONSTANDARD DISCLAIMER:	I have a significant interest in CrossWind,
			so draw your own conclusions.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "The best X program I've ever seen!"  (my mom)

phils@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Philip Thompson) (02/23/90)

>     Two applications that our users miss which are available in
>sunview form are a rolodex tool and a calendar/reminder service
>program.
>     To my amazement I have been unable to locate either of these
>applications for X.

Project Athena at MIT wrote rolodX and xcalendar using Motif last
summer.  They were completed to about 90% and worked well enough to
use.
I don't know what the status is with them now though.  OSF/Motif
people also have copies of the source, but they have enough trouble
fixing their own bugs.  Who knows, they may surface again at some point
if the need is there.

Philip Thompson

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (02/27/90)

In article <PETERS.90Feb16102222@jester.CC.MsState.Edu> peters@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank W. Peters) writes:
>     We recen'tly acquired R4 and several local users have moved to it
>from sunview.
>
>     Two applications that our users miss which are available in
>sunview form are a rolodex tool and a calendar/reminder service
>program.

rolotool under SunView was available from the Sun User's group.  I believe
they have an XView version of rolotool.  They were giving the XView source
away at the last SUG.  (I'll ask them to post a follow up on how to get the
XView rolotool source).

The DeskSet for OpenWindows (next major release later this year) includes
a calander manager.  For a demo and available times etc, I suggest dropping
by your local Sun sales office or booth at a trade show.

If you want to use XView tools, you'll need either the OpenWindows binary
product or the XView source product on the MIT X11R4 tape (plus two patches
on expo--whole thing, patched is on expo as well).

Regards,

Heather