[comp.windows.x] Is Anybody Archiving This Newsgroup?

drapeau@jessica.Stanford.EDU (George D. Drapeau) (02/27/90)

I know that somebody has been saving messages posted to
"comp.sys.next" over the last year or so and has been making them
available for anonymous ftp.  I would like to know if the same thing
is being done for this group.  The reason I ask is that I have a text
search engine and I would like to load this newsgroup's discussions
into the search engine.  I've already done so with comp.sys.next and
it has proved invaluable to me.  For one thing, when I'm about to ask
one of the 100 most often asked questions, I use the search engine
first to see if that subject has been discussed, and usually I can
find several articles about the subject.

Any information leading to the discovery of an archive site for
comp.windows.x would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

	George
George D. Drapeau			Internet: drapeau@jessica.stanford.edu
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (02/28/90)

drapeau@jessica.Stanford.EDU (George D. Drapeau) writes:
>Any information leading to the discovery of an archive site for
>comp.windows.x would be much appreciated.

cs.toronto.edu archives some of it in lists*/xpert, available for
anonymous ftp.  (Please only ftp outside peak hours - stay away
0900-1800 on weekdays)

Caveat emptor: This is one of the most expendable sections of our
archives, and is quite likely to get nuked if that partition runs out
of room -- xpert archives are particularly vulnerable since they're
the fastest growing, especially when whatever expo is running as a
mailer takes it upon itself to reproduce messages like rabbits, sigh.

At present, we have the following:

4123 lists/xpert
2296 lists/xpert.0.Z
 127 lists.89/xpert.Z	(almost certainly truncated)
2009 lists.87/xpert.Z
 380 lists.86/xpert.86.Z