[comp.windows.x] XView Conversion Problem

hogan@trollope.csl.sri.com (Emmett Hogan) (02/15/90)

SetUp: Sun 3/80, SunOS 4.0.3, X11R4 (compiled with cc)

I am attempting to  convert a fairly simple   SunView program for  use
under X11R4, using XView.  I retrieved the latest patches I could find
from  expo and  applied them   and compiled  the XView  libraries  and
installed the headers as  instructed.   I  then (FOUR HOURS LATER) ran
the convert_to_xview script and edited the resulting file which I then
compiled with the command:

cc -o ljack ljack.c -lxview -lX11 -I/usr/global/include/X11

The program compiles without  error, and even runs correctly...almost.
The problem occurs  when  the window is   iconified and  the   program
attempts to change the icon  (This  program monitors several log files
and changes the icon when an entry  is made  in one  of the logs); the
icon does not change and cannot be  de-iconified by simply clicking on
the icon,  I must choose the (de)-iconify   entry in   my TWM menu and
click on the  icon.  The  window will then  pop up,   which the latest
entry appearing in the monitored log file,  but  the icon also remains
on the  screen.  When I re-iconify the  window,  it  goes back  to the
previously frozen icon,   but  I can now  open   the  window again  by
clicking on the icon (until of course, the  program tries to change it
again).  I have found  this behavior in other programs  (i.e. contool)
that I have tried to convert to XView, that try to change the icon.

I think I  can rule  out window manager problems, as  this occurs with
uwm and gwm, as well as twm.

If anyone can shed some light upon my problem, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance,
Emmett

Emmett Hogan              Computer Science Lab, SRI International
Inet: hogan@csl.sri.com
UUCP: {ames, decwrl, pyramid, sun}!fernwood!hercules!hogan
USMAIL: BN179, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA  94025
PacBell: (415)859-3232 (voice), (415)859-2844 (fax)
ICBM: 37d 27' 14" North, 122d 10' 52" West

>The problem occurs  when  the window is   iconified and  the   program
>attempts to change the icon  (This  program monitors several log files
>and changes the icon when an entry  is made  in one  of the logs); the
>icon does not change and cannot be  de-iconified by simply clicking on
>the icon,  [...more problems with the new icon]
>
>I think I  can rule  out window manager problems, as  this occurs with
>uwm and gwm, as well as twm.

I don't think you necessarily can rule out window manager problems; you
may just be dealing with three broken window managers.

The X11R4 "twm"s handling of the icon window hint is *definitely*
broken, and at least some of the problems you list sound like the
problems it exhibited when I asked the XView "shelltool" to change its
icon - it basically doesn't properly claim ownership of the new icon
window.  See my recent posting of a fix to it.

The icon window handling of the others may be broken as well (or, in the
case of "gwm", the Turing-Complete Window Manager, it may be that
whatever LISP code is handling that is broken).

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (02/27/90)

In article <HOGAN.90Feb14155624@trollope.csl.sri.com> hogan@trollope.csl.sri.com (Emmett Hogan) writes:

>SetUp: Sun 3/80, SunOS 4.0.3, X11R4 (compiled with cc)
>
>The problem occurs  when  the window is   iconified and  the   program
>attempts to change the icon  (This  program monitors several log files
>and changes the icon when an entry  is made  in one  of the logs); the
>icon does not change and cannot be  de-iconified by simply clicking on
>the icon,  I must choose the (de)-iconify   entry in   my TWM menu and
>click on the  icon.  The  window will then  pop up,   which the latest
>entry appearing in the monitored log file,  but  the icon also remains
>on the  screen.  When I re-iconify the  window,  it  goes back  to the
>previously frozen icon,   but  I can now  open   the  window again  by
>clicking on the icon (until of course, the  program tries to change it
>again).  I have found  this behavior in other programs  (i.e. contool)
>that I have tried to convert to XView, that try to change the icon.

I believe this is a twm limitation pointed out by someone else on this
alias.  There's even a fix for it I believe...

Regards,

Heather

>I believe this is a twm limitation pointed out by someone else on this
>alias.  There's even a fix for it I believe...

As the "someone else", I note that:

	1) yes, this is a "twm" limitation - it doesn't handle
	   IconWindowHint correctly

and

	2) there is a fix, in the article that noted the problem -
	   article ID "<2881@auspex.auspex.com>".

(I note you said "alias"; do you read this as a mailing list?  If so, you
have my sympathy; even with "tn", it's a pain to keep up.  I hope the
original poster doesn't read it as a mailing list, since if so it may be
hard for them to dig up said article....)